My Watercooled Media PC

My Builds

Jill:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/231660-jill-jack-and-jill/

Jack:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/231902-jack-jack-and-jill/

Update July 11, 2015

This is practically a whole other computer than last post at this point :P. If TLDR skip to third paragraph

So I switched the motherboard from the Asus M5A97, to the Sabertooth 990FX I used to have in

Jack, turns out it was failing and literally every game was stuttering and unplayable (that was fun

trying to diagnose). Ended up grabbing an Asus Z97-Pro Gamer motherboard and using an Intel

4690K I grabbed several months ago to replace the 990FX, before I even got that I found a

GTX970 on ebay for $80 (selling for parts due to heat issues and blue-screening), I threw a bid at

it and won (really hoping at this point that I didn't just throw money down the drain).

I received the motherboard and graphics card on the same day and went straight to work testing

the card. I threw it in a rig just to see, and before Windows even loaded the computer shut off.

Now, I've had this issue previously with Jack when I had a pump die on me (components heated up

until auto-shutoff), so the first thing I thought to do was remove the stock cooler and... BAM, thermal

paste was barely even on the damn GPU die. Replaced the thermal compound and tried booting

again, and NO ISSUES. In other words I got a practically brand new GTX970 for about $100 CAD

(80+20 shipping), which is freaking ridiculous.

Okay, so with all that figured out, I ordered an EK 970 waterblock, got everything installed and running

great. Had the 4690K up at 4.8Ghz 1.4V, but that was getting a bit too hot, keeping it at 4.5Ghz for the

time being to counter BC's current heatwave of doom. Temps were around 60-65C on the CPU under

Intelburntest Maximum Test load (peaked at 67C), and GPU only hitting 42C during an hour long furmark

test (Ambient room temp was around 31C Bleh). There area couple of other little changes as well that'll

be noticeable in the spec sheet. Ok time for some pictures :P

• CPU
    Intel I5 4690K @ 3.5Ghz.
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z97-Pro Gamer
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance 4X4GB @ 1600Mhz.
  • GPU
    EVGA GTX970 ACX (EK ACX Block)
  • Case
    Corsair Air 540. (White)
  • Storage
    120GB OCZ V3, 1TB Hitachi.
  • PSU
    Corsair HX750i 750W
  • Display(s)
    Samsung 55" LED TV
  • Cooling
    Alphacool 240 & 360 Rads, Dazmode SP Edition EK CPU Block, Bitspower 140 Res, D5 Pump (With XSPC Top).
  • Operating System
    Windows 7 HP
Set up showing the TV

Media Setup July 2015

Nice view of inside.

Media 1 July 2015

And everything is glowing!

Media 2 July 2015

-----Older-----

This is my HTPC computer, sits in the livingroom and is used for gaming on the bigscreen TV.

Before actually watercooling. Test fitting the rads before I got all the other parts.

Media Older

I really like how this build turned out, only thing I don't like are the heatsinks on the motherboard being blue,

I'm almost temped to take them off and paint them red to fit the rest of the build, but I'm not sure how much that

might effect their performance, throw me a message if you know of a good way to do this :). I love the fact

that the portal turret I got was perfectly powered by the mobo headers, so when the PC is asleep its *laser*

actually blinks, I've had a couple comments that the case reminded people of portals turrets, so I just had to. :P

Full Specs:

• CPU
    Phenom 1090T @ 3.8Ghz.
  • Motherboard
    Asus M5A97 R2.0.
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance 2X4GB @ 1.6Ghz.
  • GPU
    EVGA GTX660Ti (Razer 670 Block)
  • Case
    Corsair Air 540. (White)
  • Storage
    120GB OCZ V3, 1TB Hitachi.
  • PSU
    XFX XXX 650W.
  • Display(s)
    Samsung 55" LED TV
  • Cooling
    Alphacool 240 & 360 Rads, Dazmode SP Edition EK CPU Block, Bitspower 140 Res, DDC Pump (With Bitspower Top).
  • Operating System
    Windows 7 HP

Initial Overview

Media Overview

Super bright cathodes!

Media Overview Bright

Closer look at the internals.

Media Close Insides

Front Panel with Portal Turret Power LED

Media Front Panel Portal Turret

Right side of case with gong show of cables, res and pump also.

Media Rear Inside

Right side top of case with SSD ninja mount :P

Media Rear Top SSD Mount

Overall I'm nowhere near as proud of this as I am my main computer, but hopefully things will start to look better

once I add a couple fittings and the GPU block. I'll update this log when everything gets here :).

Specs: Corsair 900D Chassis, Asus Sabertooth X99, Intel i7 5820k @ 4.2ghz, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2400Mhz DDR4, MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK-X, Corsair HX1000iW PSU, WD Black SN750 500GB NVME (Boot), WD 1TB NVME (Games), WD Red 4TB HDD (General Storage).

Watercooling: D5 Pump (EK Top), 2X 480MM Swiftech Rads, Apogee HD CPU Block.

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Chroma Keyboard, Razer Mamba-T Edition Mouse, Corsair Viod Pro Headset, BenQ XL2420T 120Hz Monitor.

the blue adds a nice accent

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.