Crossfire r9 280x or r9 290?

Hey guys, my birthdays coming up in 2 weeks, and I've decided that for my birthday I wanted to build a new PC, as mine is relatively old now.

My budget is ~$300 for the GPU, but I am buying Used cards, so my prices will be different than most people. The question is, should I get a two R9 280x and crossfire them, or buy a single R9 290? I will be playing at 1080p with the possibility of upgrading to 1440p in the next couple years. I am hoping to max out Grand Theft Auto 5 when it comes out on PC. Basically I want to know what configuration you guys feel would be the most powerful/ future-proof. 

All cards are reference, but I was planning on putting a Kraken G10 on whichever card(s) I get, so heat shouldn't be as big of a problem.

R9 290- $250

R9 280x- $135 each

P.S. I am buying from a local PC hardware shop, they all have 2 year warranties and I have purchased all of my things there for the last 5 years. So basically, don't tell me about the risks of buying used or anything.

I'm that guy with the GPD Win.

Always get the best single GPU you can afford first. So get the 290.

R9 290,

YOU MUST ask the seller what he used the cards for, you do not want to buy old mining cards (i know you said dont but hey id feel bad if i didnt stress it) although with a warranty itll be fine although this may disappear if you put a kraken on

R9 290,

YOU MUST ask the seller what he used the cards for, you do not want to buy old mining cards 

From what he told me, they were used in display systems around the store, so pretty much running at idle 24/7 for like 2 months. I feel comfortable with that.

From what he told me, they were used in display systems around the store, so pretty much running at idle 24/7 for like 2 months. I feel comfortable with that.

then your fine to buy,

If you want best performance now go crossfire r9 280 but if you can wait go with r9 290 and crossfire later

R9 290. I got one and I love it. :D

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A | CPU: i5 4670K | GPU: R9 290 Tri-X | RAM: HyperX FURY 8GB | SSD: SanDisk 128GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Corsair CX750 | Case: Thermaltake Urban T31

R9 290. I got one and I love it. :D

Yeah I'm leaning that way right now.

Whoa, your rig is almost exactly the same as the one I'm planning! :P

Yeah I'm leaning that way right now.

Whoa, your rig is almost exactly the same as the one I'm planning! :P

You'll love it then ;)

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A | CPU: i5 4670K | GPU: R9 290 Tri-X | RAM: HyperX FURY 8GB | SSD: SanDisk 128GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Corsair CX750 | Case: Thermaltake Urban T31

I wish I could have gotten my 280x for $135

Thats like..£100,