Corsair RM 850W?

Enthusiast83920

I'm using OklohomaWolf's comment in the RM850 review as my source. 

And then he rated it a 9.2 / 10. He rated the G2 a 9.9 / 10 iirc. The RM series is still excellent. The G2 is better. But the RM series IS EXCELLENT.

Fanboys are stupid. Haters are stupid. They are both solid. One is better. That doesn't make the other bad.

And then he rated it a 9.2 / 10. He rated the G2 a 9.9 / 10 iirc. The RM series is still excellent. The G2 is better. But the RM series IS EXCELLENT.

I wouldn't call it excellent, it's a mainstream product. The final score isn't that important, as I judge the units themselves. I've directly compared the performance of the G2 to the RM and the G2 wins hands down, for less. I know most of the people here defending the RM Series will openly admit the G2 is better and say the RM is still good or excellent, but for me to call it excellent, I want the price to drop. Keep the caps, just lower the price to a point that it isn't ridiculous.

You may have noticed.

attachicon.gifRM.PNG

I'm well aware you were referring to my location, but I still didn't understand your comment about not fighting back.

I've seen scores of entry level PSUs to be higher than higher-end PSUs at times. I mean the entry level Seasonic S12II Bronze 520w got a 9.7 rating, and by no means this power supply is better than the Super Flower Golden Green 450w unit that scored a 8.8, as well as various of other high-end units such as the Cooler Master V700, Seasonic X 560w, etc.

Quite honestly, you shouldn't compare units based on the score, but rather based on the understanding of the content provided in the review.

I chose the Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply for a build, but I've been told to avoid this PSU due to low quality caps. I've been advised to purchase the XFX PRO Series 850W instead. What are your thoughts on this XFX PSU, and should I purchase the XFX instead or are there better alternatives? 

Why do you need 850W for a single 780? I assume you are intending to SLI in the near future.

Which XFX Pro 850W is it exactly? Their naming scheme is a little confusing.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page625.htm

Here I see the Core Edition Pro Series 850W which is 80Plus Bronze, non-modular, and with surprisingly few PCIE connectors. Is this the one you are talking about? If so, I would recommend the RM over the XFX Pro, though I would still recommend the EVGA G2 850W over the RM850 if it's available where you are.

I've seen scores of entry level PSUs to be higher than higher-end PSUs at times. I mean the entry level Seasonic S12II Bronze 520w got a 9.7 rating, and by no means this power supply is better than the Super Flower Golden Green 450w unit that scored a 8.8, as well as various of other high-end units such as the Cooler Master V700, Seasonic X 560w, etc.

Quite honestly, you shouldn't compare units based on the score, but rather based on the understanding of the content provided in the review.

Yep, I believe the pricing strongly affects the overall score, more than the 10% or whatever is allocated to "Value". It depends on what you expect for the price, and a low end unit should be able to score 9+/10 if it demolishes the other low end competition.

Fanboys are stupid. Haters are stupid. They are both solid. One is better. That doesn't make the other bad.

They are both solid. I don't say the RM's are bad, just poorly priced for what they are. And if I am to recommend something to someone, the unit I will choose is obvious.

In an argument a few days ago I think it was Enderman who made a similar comment. My response was:

"The AX1500i is better than the EVGA P2 1200"

"That doesn't mean the P2 1200W is bad!!"

"I'm not saying the P2 1200W is bad!"

And for the record, both units are ridiculously excellent.

Yep, I believe the pricing strongly affects the overall score, more than the 10% or whatever is allocated to "Value". It depends on what you expect for the price, and a low end unit should be able to score 9+/10 if it demolishes the other low end competition.

40% performance and 20% Functionality/Value/Build Quality. It was different a few years back, where build quality wasn't graded, each have different values, and scored for...aesthetics...

Yeah, the pricing can have a big affect on the scores. The V700 was scored a 7.5 on value when it was $150 and then a few weeks later it regularly priced at $110-$120 in the US with rebates to bring it down to under $100. If it was graded then, it would have been a 10. That would have bought the overall score from 9.1 to 9.6 at that time.

The opinions between different reviewers also may have an impact as well. Jonnyguru.com has two reviewer currently: Tazz and Wolf. I've seen Wolf docked off points for things that Tazz didn't and vice versa.

Another contributing factor is how they behave with a particular testing methodology. For high-end units, you likely won't see a big difference that is worth mentioning, but that may not be the case with lower end units. For example, the XFX Core Edition 450/550w (internally based on the same unit as that Seasonic that got a 9.7) had shown different results between the load distribution of Kitguru's testing and Jonny's: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=225 

Thanks for the feedback everybody. The general consensus seems to indicate that the EVGA SuperNova G2 850 is slightly better quality, and has a longer warranty, which is important for me. I will be purchasing it.

Thanks for the feedback everybody. The general consensus seems to indicate that the EVGA SuperNova G2 850 is slightly better quality, and has a longer warranty, which is important for me. I will be purchasing it.

Great, do that!

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."