Why is a laptop i3 clocked higher than a laptop i5?

Most laptops I see with i5 are clocked at only 1.7Ghz, turbo is 2.6 but i3 I see at 2.4Ghz.

I'm thinking of getting this makeshift laptop: [url=http://www.onlinecomputer.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=10779]http://www.onlinecomputer.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=10779[/url=http://www.onlinecomputer.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=10779]

Because they are less cores. Some of the i3s if not all of them hyper thread so you have 2 cores, but it acts like 4. Most of the i5s are 4 physical cores, on the laptops there are some weird ones, but in general that is what it is, that is also the way it is on desktop models. The more cores the better, as long as the program you are running can use more cores. Games such and battlefield 3 and crysis 3, along with many productivity applications can use more than 4 cores. Older games are normally limited to one or two cores, so the faster they are the better, because it doesn't care about the other two. Hopefully this cleared it up some for you.

Athlon X4 760K | MSI A88X-G43 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz | MSI R7 260X 2GB | Corsair 300R | Corsair CX430 | 640GB HDD | Windows 7 64-bit

HP W2071d 20" 900p TN | Stock Dell K/B | Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 + SteelSeries Qck Portal 2 Ed. | Grado SR80i + cheap 2.0 speakers

Also with four physical cores you will get higher tempretures at higher clocks. It isn't really about the clocks because as you can see in Linus and Slick's benchmark the FX-8350 is clocked higher than the I5 3570K and yet the I5 3570K can get similar or even better frame rates!

Because they are less cores. Some of the i3s if not all of them hyper thread so you have 2 cores, but it acts like 4. Most of the i5s are 4 physical cores, on the laptops there are some weird ones, but in general that is what it is, that is also the way it is on desktop models. The more cores the better, as long as the program you are running can use more cores. Games such and battlefield 3 and crysis 3, along with many productivity applications can use more than 4 cores. Older games are normally limited to one or two cores, so the faster they are the better, because it doesn't care about the other two. Hopefully this cleared it up some for you.
Core i3 and Core i5 in laptops are the same chip, Core i5 has turbo boost enabled and something else I can't remember (I think AES instruction set or something) but they are basically the same dual core die.

I'm unaware of any quad core i5 laptop's

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Food for thought that clock doesn't matter as much as it used to. Still matters but not as much.

Also with four physical cores you will get higher tempretures at higher clocks. It isn't really about the clocks because as you can see in Linus and Slick's benchmark the FX-8350 is clocked higher than the I5 3570K and yet the I5 3570K can get similar or even better frame rates!
you can't compare between different architectures.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Then compare a 2500k and a 3570k, both perform similar, with a slight improvement in the 3570k.

I was just saying that it is not always about clock speeds!

It's actually because the specific i5 processor you linked is a low-power one with a TDP of 17w, which is aimed for ultrabooks and tablets. The i3 on the other hand is a notebook-oriented CPU, so there's more thermal headroom. Same reason why desktop i3's are typically in the 3ghz range. That i5 does have turbo though, as mentioned above.

On a side-note, core count is actually the same, all mobile i3's and i5's are hyperthreaded dual cores. Architecture is identical, I wouldn't be surprised if both units are based off the same die too. It's just that the i5 is binned higher, so it can run at lower voltages to meet the thermal specifications at those speeds.

found this [url=http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-3317U-vs-Intel-Core-i3-3110M]http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-3317U-vs-Intel-Core-i3-3110M[/url=http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-3317U-vs-Intel-Core-i3-3110M] someone can delete this thread now' date=' thanks zombiefiedpyro :)[/quote']

Just for future reference, cpuboss is one of the most inaccurate methods of comparing CPU's. All they do is compare passmark benchmarks which in itself says next to nothing about performance, everything else seems to be an automated comparison of specifications.

The i5-3230m has hyper-threading. (http://ark.intel.com/products/72056)

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

All of the mobile Core i5's have hyperthreading, it's only the desktop variants that don't.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I do not know much about mobile CPUs, just that my i7 has 4 cores and hyperthreads to 8.

Athlon X4 760K | MSI A88X-G43 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz | MSI R7 260X 2GB | Corsair 300R | Corsair CX430 | 640GB HDD | Windows 7 64-bit

HP W2071d 20" 900p TN | Stock Dell K/B | Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 + SteelSeries Qck Portal 2 Ed. | Grado SR80i + cheap 2.0 speakers

I concur with that thought, remember when AMDiddles said that clock didn't matter back when it did?