What is wrong...

Froggo56

So i was watching movies earlier and shut my pc off to go out, and when i came back it wouldn't start... No bios screen, only a long beep from the speaker on the MB. I tore it apart and now instead of a long beep its a single one. The way it starts and shuts down is: I hit the power button - it starts to turn pc fans - it shuts off - turns itself back on - beeps once - then shows the bois menu logo - then shuts off to repeat

please help

Just now, corrado33 said:

Clear the cmos, try again.

already removed the battery and did a clear, still same thing

1 minute ago, Froggo56 said:

something might be wrong with the motherboard itself or even some other component

is there a dr debug that shows an error code on the board

Just now, Zippy Zolton said:

something might be wrong with the motherboard itself or even some other component

is there a dr debug that shows an error code on the board

nope, shes an old motherbaord (GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H-A)

13 minutes ago, Froggo56 said:

Remove all extraneous hardware (all but one memory stick, all storage, GPU if you have an iGPU available, any other PCIe card). Then clear the cmos, then try again. 

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

Remove all extraneous hardware (all but one memory stick, all storage, GPU if you have an iGPU available, any other PCIe card). Then clear the cmos, then try again. 

took everything out, well all but a stick of ram, the cpu and the cpu fan. CMOS batter was out, power was cut, same thing. just the boot beep then shutdown

3 minutes ago, Froggo56 said:

took everything out, well all but a stick of ram, the cpu and the cpu fan. CMOS batter was out, power was cut, same thing. just the boot beep then shutdown

Taking the cmos battery does not clear the cmos by itself. (Unless you leave it out for like an hour or so.) You either need to short the contacts or change the jumper (if your motherboard has a jumper.) 

Try a different memory stick. Try a different memory slot. 

IF that doesn't work, you don't have very many options. Try a different power supply. Try a different cpu. 

Find the MOBO manual and find out what the beep means. They use to use that instead of Dr Debug's. 

Maybe buy a cheap MOBO from a local retailer and return it if it isn't the issue.

well good news is it's not likely motherboard related

One single short beep will be heard if no problem is detected at system startup.

bad news is it may be your PSU. unplug your psu and jump it and see if it stays on

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

9 minutes ago, Arika S said:

bad news is it may be your PSU. unplug your psu and jump it and see if it stays on

it sounds as if the psu is unable to handle the load(almost full load during startup). 

12 hours ago, jsonschema said:

it sounds as if the psu is unable to handle the load(almost full load during startup). 

sorry for the late responce but i doubt its the PSU, shes only a year old and its a EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2, 80+ GOLD 850W

12 hours ago, Arika S said:

how do i jump a psu?

4 minutes ago, Froggo56 said:

how do i jump a psu?

firstly this is easy but risky don't do this for your own safety you touch the wrong parts and you'd injure yourself. 

even year old psu's can have problems, so.... 

2 minutes ago, jsonschema said:

firstly this is easy but risky don't do this for your own safety you touch the wrong parts and you'd injure yourself. 

even year old psu's can have problems, so.... 

lemme google how to start it real quick, imma get back to you in a sec

Just now, Froggo56 said:

lemme google how to start it real quick, imma get back to you in a sec

dude don't. atleast dont touch the metal parts of the jumping procedure. the pin that goes into the atx connector to jump. 

9 minutes ago, jsonschema said:

dude don't. atleast dont touch the metal parts of the jumping procedure. the pin that goes into the atx connector to jump. 

i have one of those jumpers that come with the psu, but uh when its held there it stays on with the fan from what i can tell

1 minute ago, Froggo56 said:

i have one of those jumpers that come with the psu, but uh when its held there it stays on with the fan from what i can tell

try reaseating the ram or if in a dual channel config remove one stick and try the other. 

1 minute ago, jsonschema said:

try reaseating the ram or if in a dual channel config remove one stick and try the other. 

yeah done that man, think its the MB

In the end it was the motherboard, thank you all for your help though! I really appreciate it XOXO