Hello! Slow boot + Help with my old LGA2011 build

Sidhu

Hi!

Im new here. I hope this is the correct forum for a newbie to ask for help.

I built myself a LGA2011 based PC a few years back, scavenging my old HDD and PSU, for audio production, and since then its mostly been in disuse.

Im trying to bring it back to life again, and some of the old issues which remained unresolved need your assistance. Ill try take one at a time.  Images attached.

1. Extremely slow boot time. 5 minutes or so before the system is running smooth. (please suggest way to measure this so i can share results ?)
    Fast boot is enabled in both BIOS and Win10 (much longer with these enabled)

I have removed all additional internal drives, only OS drive is attached. Windows has been reset to factory, no additional software installed yet, except for CPU-z

MB : Intel DX79TO (Usually run at a 1.25x oc profile stable, stock for the troubleshoot)

OS. : Windows10home 1803 (Reset to factory)

CPU : i7 3820

Ram : Corsair Vengeance 4x4gb (9-9-9-24) 1600 Mhz

HDD : WD Caviar WD800BD 80gig

GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GT710 2Gb

PSU : CoolerMaster 600W 

Liquid cool Coolermaster basic 

I plan to upgrade the system drive to a budget SSD, but still, i have other old laptops with a much older spec that boot a lot lot faster. 

Thank you all so much for your time. 

Belarc.jpg

CPU Cpu.PNG

CPU GPU.PNG

CPU MB.PNG

CPU RAM.PNG

CPU SPD.PNG

BIOS A.jpg

BIOS Performance.jpg

BIOS Boot.jpg

That HDD is your problem. Something that old will CHUG under windows 10. Windows 10 is mostly optimized for SSDs, not Ancient 80GB HDDs.  

You said you restored factory settings in windows.
Windows 10 is able to boot from Harddisks, but I would suggest you perform a complete OS Reinstall. Your Problem probably is the fragmentation on your HDD...

Just now, Alexokratis said:

You said you restored factory settings in windows.
Windows 10 is able to boot from Harddisks, but I would suggest you perform a complete OS Reinstall. Your Problem probably is the fragmentation on your HDD...

However, if you have 30$ spare, I would strongly suggest you get yourself an ssd. It would be worth the small investion, since your System isn't that bad for its age...

Thank you! that was quick...  :)

Is the Kingston SSD Now A400 a fair upgrade for the OS drive ? Its cheap.

For my occasional use of this PC, Im ideally looking for best value.

Thank you again!

2 minutes ago, Sidhu said:

Thank you! that was quick...  :)

Is the Kingston SSD Now A400 a fair upgrade for the OS drive ? Its cheap.

For my occasional use of this PC, Im ideally looking for best value.

Thank you again!

Considering the budget build, you can pretty much pick the cheapest one you can find, however the A400 looks pretty good to me. I used the 250g Variant a few years ago and it worked great.

In Germany, the only model thats cheaper is an Intenso one, but personally I would go with the Kingston.

Thank you! I'll put an order in now.

Other issues I have had :

1. Fixed : All internal HDD would show up as removable disks in the taskbar. Intel did not have an updated AHCI driver, so found one on the lenovo website for the C66/X79 chipset.
  2. The only way to get to the BIOS is via the B2B button on the motherboard. The BIOS has the hotkeys to enter BIOS on boot screen enabled, but they never show up.

None of these issues critical, but would be nice to have it working as expected.

2 minutes ago, Sidhu said:

Thank you! I'll put an order in now.

Other issues I have had :

1. Fixed : All internal HDD would show up as removable disks in the taskbar. Intel did not have an updated AHCI driver, so found one on the lenovo website for the C66/X79 chipset.
  2. The only way to get to the BIOS is via the B2B button on the motherboard. The BIOS has the hotkeys to enter BIOS on boot screen enabled, but they never show up.

None of these issues critical, but would be nice to have it working as expected.

1. (If problem isn't fixed: On modern systems you can enable / disable SATA Hotplug in the Bios / Uefi.)

2. You are probably using a USB Keyboard right? On my old Server System, I have the same problem. In Windows, everything is working fine, but no chance to enter the BIOS via Hokeys. You have to connect a PS2 Keyboard in order for the BIOS to detect Hotkeystrokes. At least in my case that was the problem...

Aha! Additionally its a wireless usb. Makes sense.

Thank you so much!

After the SsD is done, id like to get help with some oc procedures. Ill continue on this thread if thats is protocol here.

Much appreciate all the help!

Sidhu

You're welcome! 

Before attempting OC, please check your Temps in Windows with HWinfo or similar programs under load (eg cinebench r15, aida 64 etc)