Accessing Network drives from outside home network

circle

Hey,

Can I get acces to my network drives in my homenetwork from another network by using openvpn?

Background:

I have some troubles getting my synology nas to work the way I want it to work.

I wanted to use it like Dropbox, a large drive where I put documents that I can acces from multiple devices. So I mapped everything as network drives. This works great while I'm inside the network but I can't access the files from outside, at least not without buying additional software (NetDrive?).

But if I use openVpn to tunnel into my homenetwork, I'm in the homenetwork, so I should be able to access the drives, right? 

I'd prefer to have them as network drives and not use synology quickconnect.

Yes That's what I do. Make sure the server has access to the subnet the server is on. I.E. if your openvpn gives out 10.1.2.1 and your server is on 10.1.1.1 then change access permissions to 10.1.1.1 and internet.

16 minutes ago, circle said:

Hey,

Can I get acces to my network drives in my homenetwork from another network by using openvpn?

Background:

I have some troubles getting my synology nas to work the way I want it to work.

I wanted to use it like Dropbox, a large drive where I put documents that I can acces from multiple devices. So I mapped everything as network drives. This works great while I'm inside the network but I can't access the files from outside, at least not without buying additional software (NetDrive?).

But if I use openVpn to tunnel into my homenetwork, I'm in the homenetwork, so I should be able to access the drives, right? 

I'd prefer to have them as network drives and not use synology quickconnect.

Yes That's what I do. Make sure the server has access to the subnet the server is on. I.E. if your openvpn gives out 10.1.2.1 and your server is on 10.1.1.1 then change access permissions to 10.1.1.1 and internet.

Thanks, I'll try to get that working. As much as I like playing with hardware, I can't seem to wrap my head around networking.