Minor PC Upgrade

Midgitwarrior

Hi all,

(Shill Incoming) I do a bit of streaming mostly console games and the odd older PC game, but anything newer I can handle (sort of) but with obvious issues every now and then. So I'm looking at adding a second GPU so my current GPU can do all the encoding work whilst the new GPU handles all the gaming.

I currently have a GTX1050 TI and will be adding a GTX 1060 6GB. But I would like recommendations for a new Motherboard and most likely PSU as at the time I didn't have the idea of streaming or even running a dual GPU setup.

CPU: Intel I5-7500

Current GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Low Profile Video Card

Adding Second GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

PSU: CoolerMaster MasterWatt 400W 80Plus White

Case: CoolerMaster HAF912

P.S I live in England so everything in sterling £ would be appreciated.

Thanks All,

Regards, Midgitwarrior

look into the 580, it's cheaper and as good as the 1060

for the psu, look into the psu tier list and select any tier 3+ psu

11 minutes ago, Midgitwarrior said:

Hi all,

(Shill Incoming) I do a bit of streaming mostly console games and the odd older PC game, but anything newer I can handle (sort of) but with obvious issues every now and then. So I'm looking at adding a second GPU so my current GPU can do all the encoding work whilst the new GPU handles all the gaming.

I currently have a GTX1050 TI and will be adding a GTX 1060 6GB. But I would like recommendations for a new Motherboard and most likely PSU as at the time I didn't have the idea of streaming or even running a dual GPU setup.

CPU: Intel I5-7500

Current GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Low Profile Video Card

Adding Second GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

PSU: CoolerMaster MasterWatt 400W 80Plus White

Case: CoolerMaster HAF912

P.S I live in England so everything in sterling £ would be appreciated.

Thanks All,

Regards, Midgitwarrior

1050ti doesn't support sli. 

@asus killer I'm aware, but I'm not planning on using SLI just using the video card to be the encoder for streaming so i can use the 1060 as the gaming card. Unless to make it work it HAS to be in SLI then I have some bad information on my end

wouldn't it be better to get a high end card once and for all that can handle both gaming and everything else side by side?

17 minutes ago, Midgitwarrior said:

@asus killer I'm aware, but I'm not planning on using SLI just using the video card to be the encoder for streaming so i can use the 1060 as the gaming card. Unless to make it work it HAS to be in SLI then I have some bad information on my end

my bad i missunderstood. By like Drunk said why not sell 1050ti and buy a 1070ti for the same money? still not a expert on streaming.

3 minutes ago, Midgitwarrior said:

@Drunk.EU @asus killer I could do that and have been thinking about it, but I'm not sure at how much performance loss there is when playing a game and streaming it at the same time

depends on your encoding, but that's normally more cpu heavy than gpu heavy

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

depends on your encoding, but that's normally more cpu heavy than gpu heavy

If you encode in x264 then thats CPU intensive but if you use NVENC then that uses the GPU for encoding instead

1 minute ago, Midgitwarrior said:

If you encode in x264 then thats CPU intensive but if you use NVENC then that uses the GPU for encoding instead

okay, good to know. but I would still suggest a better gpu over two budget ones

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

okay, good to know. but I would still suggest a better gpu over two budget ones

Well I would take 1 better GPU then using 2 like you say, at the moment I'm trying to find out the performance loss for streaming and playing on either the 1070ti or the rx580

Just now, Midgitwarrior said:

Well I would take 1 better GPU then using 2 like you say, at the moment I'm trying to find out the performance loss for streaming and playing on either the 1070ti or the rx580

the rx580 performs around the 1060 6gb

1070 ti around the vega 56/64

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

the rx580 performs around the 1060 6gb

1070 ti around the vega 56/64

I have seen Linus' video on the rx580 (£200) and at £20 cheaper then the GTX1060 6GB (£220) its a no brainer, whereas the GTX 1070TI is a pretty damn good card although at £380 so if I had to buy a GPU now id get the RX580, but if I can wait then the GTX1070TI will be worth the price.

But then the next question is what PSU do i go for unless the 400W one i have is good enough (i doubt)

2 minutes ago, Midgitwarrior said:

I have seen Linus' video on the rx580 (£200) and at £20 cheaper then the GTX1060 6GB (£220) its a no brainer, whereas the GTX 1070TI is a pretty damn good card although at £380 so if I had to buy a GPU now id get the RX580, but if I can wait then the GTX1070TI will be worth the price.

But then the next question is what PSU do i go for unless the 400W one i have is good enough (i doubt)

it's not that bad of a psu, but a cx550 or any other tier 3+ psu is recommended for effecientcy, sound and just headroom

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

it's not that bad of a psu, but a cx550 or any other tier 3+ psu is recommended for effecientcy, sound and just headroom

Ok thanks. 1 last question before I'm done and i have the information I need. In the future I might want to upgrade my motherboard if i want to 2 way SLI the new GPU any recommendations as i have browsed on PCpartpicker and it gives me information that the motherboards im choosing have a USB 3.0 header but my case only has front USB 2.0 ports, does this matter as id assume i connect them but i only get the speed of 2.0 or is it completely incompatible?

1 minute ago, Midgitwarrior said:

Ok thanks. 1 last question before I'm done and i have the information I need. In the future I might want to upgrade my motherboard if i want to 2 way SLI the new GPU any recommendations as i have browsed on PCpartpicker and it gives me information that the motherboards im choosing have a USB 3.0 header but my case only has front USB 2.0 ports, does this matter as id assume i connect them but i only get the speed of 2.0 or is it completely incompatible?

you have to use usb 2.0 headers for 2.0 and so it is for 3.0

and i believe you can have the killer sli if the fatal1ty doesn't have sli.

Ok then thanks for you help, i will ask in the motherboard subsection on a compatible MOBO for my case that has usb 2.0 front headers.