Need help

kpa

I made an upgrade on my computer a few months ago hoping to make the proper use of my 144hz monitor. Everything was improved with the exception of my GPU and PSU. Despite the upgrade, the same problems that I had with my previous setup are occurring now.

My current setup is:
- i7 8700
- GTX 960
- GIGABYTE B360M D3H
- HYPERX 8GB 2400
- EVGA 430W 80PLUS WHITE

So the strange thing is, my pc just runs well (high fps in games) after 2 weeks of resetting my OS and/or after an GPU Driver reinstalation/update.

Another problem that was visible was a low usage of the GPU in certain games, that clearly isn't a bottleneck with my CPU. I "solved" this today deactivating what I think it's called High Precision Timer and VT-d on the BIOS. It increased the GPU usage, but not a single difference in the actual game performance.

So either it has to be my PSU or my GPU, right? 

(English isn't my mother language, sorry if there's any mistake with the grammar)

It depends on the game. Some games are just optimized poorly so you won't see 100% utilization of the GPU or CPU but still get poor frame rates. 

However, there are some other steps you can take.

Check your PCI-e power settings in your "power plan" in windows. Make sure it's off. 

Also make sure you have dual (or triple or quad) channel ram, and they're in the correct slots. 

Also disable ULPS (google for it) in your registry. 

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

It depends on the game. Some games are just optimized poorly so you won't see 100% utilization of the GPU or CPU but still get poor frame rates. 

However, there are some other steps you can take.

Check your PCI-e power settings in your "power plan" in windows. Make sure it's off. 

Also make sure you have dual (or triple or quad) channel ram, and they're in the correct slots. 

Also disable ULPS (google for it) in your registry. 

It happens like a trigger, after a uncertain time of formatting the computer.

It affect all my games, but there are specific ones (like Rocket League) that the performance goes downhill.

At a good ratio of times, the problem begins after a random Windows Update, but I can't believe that this is being the only reason of all this problem.

My PCI-E is Off.

I only have 1 8GB stick of RAM.

I made a fast read on this ULPS thing that you mentioned but it seems to be only applied to Radeon graphic cards (that is not my case, since I have a GTX 960), correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you for the reply.

this is a strange one, may be software or hardware.

try benchmark cpu & gpu separately to compare scores online.

if hardwares are fine, try reset bios first. then install a clean windows on another partition for testing 

but anyway gtx960 is too weak for 144hz

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

this is a strange one, may be software or hardware.

try benchmark cpu & gpu separately to compare scores online.

if hardwares are fine, try reset bios first. then install a clean windows on another partition for testing 

but anyway gtx960 is too weak for 144hz

Yeah I know that the 960 is not the greatest card for that kind of gaming, but I just want those frames on some games :)

I will try to discover how to do those benchmarks and post the results here.

Thank you for the reply.

15 minutes ago, kpa said:

Yeah I know that the 960 is not the greatest card for that kind of gaming, but I just want those frames on some games :)

I will try to discover how to do those benchmarks and post the results here.

Thank you for the reply.

These were the results:

Screenshot_6.png

Screenshot_7.png