Upgrading CPU

Go to solution Solved by DVA,
3 minutes ago, James-N said:

i would like to spend around $350-$400 for the CPU itself, 

Well if you are not worrying too much about the budget than the i5 8600k would be a GREAT option at your budget, going right to the 400 cap. 

If you'd prefer to save some money while maintaining great performance than you can opt for the Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x. 

Hey all, I want to upgrade my CPU. I have an Intel i5-3470 (3.20GHz) and i want to upgrade it because I've had it for a while and i notice that its slowly dying (high CPU usage in games/browsing internet/streams e.t.c). Since there's been so many different CPU's released between Intel and Ryzen i want some help in choosing. I also know that will have to upgrade my motherboard and also my RAM as well however those are much easier to choose (but any suggestions would also be nice). I will be mostly gaming (DOTA2, BO4, MHW). For GPU i have a 1060 6gb. In terms of budget, i would like to spend around $350-$400 for the CPU itself, whatever is the best value for me and my needs.. However, i don't mind spending an extra $50 or so if you guys think its worth it and especially if it'll ensure i won't have to upgrade for along time. P.S AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS

Hi @James-N

could you describe the rest of your current rig? 

NeXTcube 12400 Z690M ITX 64GB SN770 6600XT Sugo16 12.5

NeXTserver 9400 H310N ITX 32GB SN350 5500XT Fara R1 12.5

NeXTstation 9900K Z390 ITX 32GB SN750 6800XT Enthoo 12.5

3 minutes ago, James-N said:

i would like to spend around $350-$400 for the CPU itself, 

Well if you are not worrying too much about the budget than the i5 8600k would be a GREAT option at your budget, going right to the 400 cap. 

If you'd prefer to save some money while maintaining great performance than you can opt for the Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x. 

i was gonna say wait a couple weeks for black friday  or cyber monday but is that a thing in Australia.... me persdonally i pretty much always use intel cpus but thats more of a fan boy preference but ive used the new ryzen to make my grandfather a gaming pc with a 960 ryzen 5 1600 and it runs just fine (he plays the total war games) but ill let some more people respond i mean i have a 4690k and 16gb of ddr3 with a 290x and it runs everything just fine so id say hop on part picker look for anything with at least 4 core 12 threads and youd be just fine....(provided its came out in the last 2-4 years)

6 hours ago, DemizedEmpire said:

i was gonna say wait a couple weeks for black friday  or cyber monday but is that a thing in Australia.... me persdonally i pretty much always use intel cpus but thats more of a fan boy preference but ive used the new ryzen to make my grandfather a gaming pc with a 960 ryzen 5 1600 and it runs just fine (he plays the total war games) but ill let some more people respond i mean i have a 4690k and 16gb of ddr3 with a 290x and it runs everything just fine so id say hop on part picker look for anything with at least 4 core 12 threads and youd be just fine....(provided its came out in the last 2-4 years)

Haha, apparently it is a thing in Australia, but it's not as big/well known as in the US. Ill keep an eye out till then and see if i can snag any good deals! Thanks for the response

6 hours ago, DVA said:

Thankyou!