Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upgrading CPU

Go to solution Solved by DVA,
3 minutes ago, James-N said:

i would like to spend around $350-$400 for the CPU itself, 

Well if you are not worrying too much about the budget than the i5 8600k would be a GREAT option at your budget, going right to the 400 cap. 

If you'd prefer to save some money while maintaining great performance than you can opt for the Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x. 

Hey all, I want to upgrade my CPU. I have an Intel i5-3470 (3.20GHz) and i want to upgrade it because I've had it for a while and i notice that its slowly dying (high CPU usage in games/browsing internet/streams e.t.c). Since there's been so many different CPU's released between Intel and Ryzen i want some help in choosing. I also know that will have to upgrade my motherboard and also my RAM as well however those are much easier to choose (but any suggestions would also be nice). I will be mostly gaming (DOTA2, BO4, MHW). For GPU i have a 1060 6gb. In terms of budget, i would like to spend around $350-$400 for the CPU itself, whatever is the best value for me and my needs.. However, i don't mind spending an extra $50 or so if you guys think its worth it and especially if it'll ensure i won't have to upgrade for along time. P.S AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS

Hi @James-N

could you describe the rest of your current rig? 

NeXTstation 9900K Z390 Phantom ITX 32GB 12.1 6600XT. NeXTserver 9400 H310N ITX 32GB 12.1 5500XT

NH_ONE 9100 Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi 8GB RTX3070 GTX1080ti NH_TWO 9100 Z390 PG 4S 8GB RX 5700XT

NeXTcube 12400 Z690M ITX 32GB 12.1

3 minutes ago, James-N said:

i would like to spend around $350-$400 for the CPU itself, 

Well if you are not worrying too much about the budget than the i5 8600k would be a GREAT option at your budget, going right to the 400 cap. 

If you'd prefer to save some money while maintaining great performance than you can opt for the Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x. 

i was gonna say wait a couple weeks for black friday  or cyber monday but is that a thing in Australia.... me persdonally i pretty much always use intel cpus but thats more of a fan boy preference but ive used the new ryzen to make my grandfather a gaming pc with a 960 ryzen 5 1600 and it runs just fine (he plays the total war games) but ill let some more people respond i mean i have a 4690k and 16gb of ddr3 with a 290x and it runs everything just fine so id say hop on part picker look for anything with at least 4 core 12 threads and youd be just fine....(provided its came out in the last 2-4 years)

6 hours ago, DemizedEmpire said:

i was gonna say wait a couple weeks for black friday  or cyber monday but is that a thing in Australia.... me persdonally i pretty much always use intel cpus but thats more of a fan boy preference but ive used the new ryzen to make my grandfather a gaming pc with a 960 ryzen 5 1600 and it runs just fine (he plays the total war games) but ill let some more people respond i mean i have a 4690k and 16gb of ddr3 with a 290x and it runs everything just fine so id say hop on part picker look for anything with at least 4 core 12 threads and youd be just fine....(provided its came out in the last 2-4 years)

Haha, apparently it is a thing in Australia, but it's not as big/well known as in the US. Ill keep an eye out till then and see if i can snag any good deals! Thanks for the response

6 hours ago, DVA said:

Thankyou!