need an advise

WhiteAirLock

Hi, I'm currently modifying an old Audi car radio and I want to add an pcb into it, in order to get an Aux connector working on it.

I already soldered most of the components and now I'm at a point, where I need to remove an CAN Interface IC and place it on my pcb but the thing is.... that is an BGA chip, which means that my soldering iron will not work on it.

Now I was looking on Amazon for one hot air reflow station and I wanted to ask, if it will work on BGA Chips or not hot air reflow station (this link will send you to Amazon Germany )

I don't care about the time, that it will take until this station gets heated up and I don't want to do siruis stuff with it.. Would probably use it from time to time and don't really need to spend more than 50€ on a hot air reflow station.

if you need advice or tutorials on it I would check out Luis rossmann on youtube he does pro level MacBook repair which involves  BGA repair and hot air work as far as the iron I haven't seen that one before so I can't help.

1 hour ago, James Evens said:

First off if it is a cheap chip just buy it new. Arrow has free international shipping at the moment.  

If you don't like soldering BGA use a socket or zebra connector.

I have to use the existing BGA Chip, because it is responsible for switching between the CD and FM Radio mode. The thing is that I have an small pcb with an flex cable thing connected together.

The flex cable goes on the place, where the BGA Chip was before and the BGA Chip should be placed to the PCB.

In other words, the connection gets bridged and instead of having an working CD Player, I will have an Aux connector.

The Mod kit costed me around 2,37usd at my local seller and it is actually really easy to work on it.. Simple rule.. just follow the instructions, all components are really easy to mount if you have the right tools. For example, I see an components in R12 bag, then I need it to place on the pcb, where the R12 is present.

In my opinion, the instructions are really idiot proof and there are no capacitors, that could blow right into someone's face, in case if someone ignores the polarity.

2 hours ago, jonrosalia said:

if you need advice or tutorials on it I would check out Luis rossmann on youtube he does pro level MacBook repair which involves  BGA repair and hot air work as far as the iron I haven't seen that one before so I can't help. 

Thank you very much. It is definitely very informative and now I even know how to correct an pad, if I destroy one of the pads