Upgrade i7 930

Kdog
Go to solution Solved by Kdog,

Quick update: I decided to go with an i7 970 because I found someone who confirmed it would work as they upgraded theirs to it. I upgraded and everything great. Significantly better performance. 

Hello everyone, 

I want to upgrade my old Dell XPS Studio 9100 that has an i7 930 CPU in it. I found from this link all the processors I can use. I found that for me the i7 980x is around the price I'm willing to pay (about 150 on eBay) but I want to know two things. Firstly, has anyone upgraded from the 930 to the 980x and if so did you notice any difference? The second thing is that I don't want to pay $150 for the CPU not to work so does anyone have experience upgrading CPU's with prefab Dell machines? Thanks in advance!

"Kieran just stole my girl!" - No-one

Discord: Kdog#7258

Might as well throw a W3680 in there, should work just like the 980X at under half the price. You'll want to overclock it a bit with throttlestop and from there it should be a decent upgrade. You should check the dell website if they are providing a newer BIOS or ask their tech support.

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

3 minutes ago, Ground said:

Might as well throw a W3680 in there, should work just like the 980X at under half the price. You'll want to overclock it a bit with throttlestop and from there it should be a decent upgrade. You should check the dell website if they are providing a newer BIOS or ask their tech support.

I hadn't even looked up the price of the W3680 so thank you for pointing it out. I also just noticed that in my post I called the computer an Inspiron but that isn't correct. I had the correct socket type originally, though, so I should be fine.

W3680 or x5680 will be much cheaper and in the case of the x5680 is 6c12t at 3ghz.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

7 minutes ago, asand1 said:

W3680 or x5680 will be much cheaper and in the case of the x5680 is 6c12t at 3ghz.

I think I'll go with the W3680 but I was able to find someone on a forum from 2012 say that the 980x works with the XPS Studio's motherboard. 

• 2 months later...

Quick update: I decided to go with an i7 970 because I found someone who confirmed it would work as they upgraded theirs to it. I upgraded and everything great. Significantly better performance.