Mixing RAM sizes?

Essentially I'm noticing certain games eat up my ram even with chrome closed. (Cough, BO4) Thus, I feel I need to finally move on from 8gb. I have a single 8gb stick of Corsair vengance ddr3 (1600mhz). I still see 16gb as a waste, as I don't do anything other than gaming and web browsing. Thus, I want to add a 4gb stick of the same brand, speed, etc. Would this cause a drop in performance as the sticks aren't EXACTLY identical?

4 minutes ago, TexasTech said:

Essentially I'm noticing certain games eat up my ram even with chrome closed. (Cough, BO4) Thus, I feel I need to finally move on from 8gb. I have a single 8gb stick of Corsair vengance ddr3 (1600mhz). I still see 16gb as a waste, as I don't do anything other than gaming and web browsing. Thus, I want to add a 4gb stick of the same brand, speed, etc. Would this cause a drop in performance as the sticks aren't EXACTLY identical?

Yes if you were using XMP. XMP only works if the ram is from the same kit or else it will crash and not boot. I used to run 2 kits of 32gb and xmp wouldn't work even though they were rated 2666. 

2 minutes ago, H20Burner said:

Yes if you were using XMP. XMP only works if the ram is from the same kit or else it will crash and not boot. I used to run 2 kits of 32gb and xmp wouldn't work even though they were rated 2666. 

Yeah I don't think I ever messed with XMP in bios. 1600mhz is more than enough imo.

4 minutes ago, TexasTech said:

Yeah I don't think I ever messed with XMP in bios. 1600mhz is more than enough imo.

My friend is using an 8gb + 4gb sticks as well. Seems to work fine for him

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

It'll be fine, probably. I've never had a problem and more ram is better than faster ram.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430