Lenovo y500 gt650m sli

Hello everyone, 

I bought a Lenovo y500 for 250 US Dollars for my university app development, CAD practices and general workstation stuff. Do you think that was a perfect buy? 

Specs of the lenovo :

2 x gt650m SLI

i7 3630qm 

16gb ram @1600mhz 

256gb Samsung pro mSata ssd

1tb Hitachi 7200rpm hdd

Triple antennas mimo wifi card 

Condition like new. 

Thank you all :)

I used to have the Y510P. These Lenovo's are decent machines.
Their biggest downside is that the laptop is unable to use it's Intel HD GPU because of the SLI configuration. This results in truly awful battery life.
CPU and RAM are awesome for this price. I think I would get it if I were you. But remember that this is a pretty old laptop.

On 9/24/2018 at 11:04 AM, Pyramiden said:

I used to have the Y510P. These Lenovo's are decent machines.
Their biggest downside is that the laptop is unable to use it's Intel HD GPU because of the SLI configuration. This results in truly awful battery life.
CPU and RAM are awesome for this price. I think I would get it if I were you. But remember that this is a pretty old laptop.

thanks for your answer. just a question is a lenovo y510p with same specs as above but with an i7 4910mq and sli gt755m worth 700 us dollars ? when i can get an alienware 17 with gtx880m for the same price ?

looking forward for a reply.

thank you :) 

GT755M in SLI will give you problems these days. Battery life will suck and it will not perform well because of a lack of video memory. I would go for the Alienware, as long as the size is not an issue.

On 9/26/2018 at 4:26 AM, Pyramiden said:

GT755M in SLI will give you problems these days. Battery life will suck and it will not perform well because of a lack of video memory. I would go for the Alienware, as long as the size is not an issue.

thanks for your reply, so you think that the lenovo y500 gt650m sli would be better than the gt755m sli ? keep in mind that the lenovo y500 with the specs i listed above is for 250 us dollars , and the lenovo y510p with gt755m sli, is 600 us dollars with an i7 4700mq and 128gb m.2 ssd. what do you think ?