CPU 0°c

Go to solution Solved by TechyBen,
14 minutes ago, Snifferdog3 said:

Hello. I noticed today my cpu temp is reading 0°c. I'm not sure when it changed but it was reading fine last week. I'm not sure if the temp monitor is broken or what. The chip is a amd phenom II x4 965BE (if you want more specs go to my profile) thanks for the help :)

Use CPUZ (they have a free edition).

IIRC the CPU sensor is not "broken", but you possibly have it core unlocked/overclocked? My Phen 2 X3 and x6 both lost the single temp when I unlocked cores/overclocked, but I could still see individual temps correctly.

Hello. I noticed today my cpu temp is reading 0°c. I'm not sure when it changed but it was reading fine last week. I'm not sure if the temp monitor is broken or what. The chip is a amd phenom II x4 965BE (if you want more specs go to my profile) thanks for the help :)

not surprised for a CPU this old to have a broken temperature sensor.

actually good news, since it reads lower temps you wont get unwanted thermal throttling.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

14 minutes ago, Snifferdog3 said:

IIRC the CPU sensor is not "broken", but you possibly have it core unlocked/overclocked? My Phen 2 X3 and x6 both lost the single temp when I unlocked cores/overclocked, but I could still see individual temps correctly.

28 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Actually I had clicked the button (4 in my case) to unlock the cores yesterday because it was annoying me everytime I boot. Not overclocked tho. So your saying that's what's caused it to say 0°c? I do have cpu-z but I didn't know there was a temp thing for it. (I was using cam and msi) I'll have a look now. 

How do I check the individual temps? I can't find anything in CPU z for it 

Ok I think my chip only has 1 temp monitor not one for each core. All the programs show core #0: 0° I even got a program called core temp. Even that only shows one core temp not the other 3. I think your right. It's to do with unlocking the cores. Is there anyway I can get the temp monitor to work again?

It says 50° in bios. I didn't even get any more cores for unlocking anyway. So can I go back so the temp thing works again using software?

amd platforms of the past have been nortorise from ill-reporting methods. HWMonitor was close, but not the gospel.

amd didn't use normal thermistors but an algo to determine temp awareness. the amd overdrive showed distance to Tj and from that you'd figure the close temp value.

25 minutes ago, Snifferdog3 said:

Actually I had clicked the button (4 in my case) to unlock the cores yesterday because it was annoying me everytime I boot. Not overclocked tho. So your saying that's what's caused it to say 0°c? I do have cpu-z but I didn't know there was a temp thing for it. (I was using cam and msi) I'll have a look now. 

How do I check the individual temps? I can't find anything in CPU z for it 

Ok I think my chip only has 1 temp monitor not one for each core. All the programs show core #0: 0° I even got a program called core temp. Even that only shows one core temp not the other 3. I think your right. It's to do with unlocking the cores. Is there anyway I can get the temp monitor to work again?

It says 50° in bios. I didn't even get any more cores for unlocking anyway. So can I go back so the temp thing works again using software?

Whoops, I meant HWmonitor, and you have it already. xD

Yep, the "core unlocker" removes the ability to report temps properly while it is on for some readings (but I think the important ones are still there).

You can turn it off, and everything goes back. The "unlock" feature may unlock a 3 core to a 4, or a 4 core to a 6. It will not unlock any extra on a 6 core, and some just don't work.

AMD disabled the less than best, lower quality or broken cores, and sold the CPU with the left over working ones. All manufactures tend to do this now, AMD and Intel, etc. They make a big CPU/GPU, and if it is not perfect, "cut out" the broken parts, and use the working ones. With the AMD PII, they never fully cut out the other cores, so some motherboards let you try them out, to see if they work well enough to use. I used my 3 core as a 4 core for ages and IMO got no problems, but of cause other people want a guarantee, so would just better AMD did it for them. Thus no other CPUs let you do this now. Also AMD/Intel would not make as much money if you could ask them to let you upgrade everything, or would get lots of complaints from the failing parts!

13 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Whoops, I meant HWmonitor, and you have it already. xD

Yep, the "core unlocker" removes the ability to report temps properly while it is on for some readings (but I think the important ones are still there).

You can turn it off, and everything goes back. The "unlock" feature may unlock a 3 core to a 4, or a 4 core to a 6. It will not unlock any extra on a 6 core, and some just don't work.

AMD disabled the less than best, lower quality or broken cores, and sold the CPU with the left over working ones. All manufactures tend to do this now, AMD and Intel, etc. They make a big CPU/GPU, and if it is not perfect, "cut out" the broken parts, and use the working ones. With the AMD PII, they never fully cut out the other cores, so some motherboards let you try them out, to see if they work well enough to use. I used my 3 core as a 4 core for ages and IMO got no problems, but of cause other people want a guarantee, so would just better AMD did it for them. Thus no other CPUs let you do this now. Also AMD/Intel would not make as much money if you could ask them to let you upgrade everything, or would get lots of complaints from the failing parts!

Thanks. It's not a big deal I just thought it had broke. I'll see if i can put it back to what it was before but if not then it's not a big deal really. Thanks for the help.

14 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

not surprised for a CPU this old to have a broken temperature sensor.

actually good news, since it reads lower temps you wont get unwanted thermal throttling.

"Good news. It won't thermal throttle". Yes but then I would overheat and break! Not everyone has money for a i7 and a 1080ti :P turns out it's not broken it's just I unlocked the cores (didn't do anything *lol*) it shows the temp in bios still.

2 hours ago, Snifferdog3 said:

Yes but then I would overheat and break!

The thing is that each CPU core gets a temperature sensor. If temps dont seem right, you can check those on other cores or even the socket itself (your stuff is old enough to have one). It's only when they are all dead that you've completely lost thermal throtting as a safeguard.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

5 hours ago, Snifferdog3 said:

"Good news. It won't thermal throttle". Yes but then I would overheat and break! Not everyone has money for a i7 and a 1080ti :P turns out it's not broken it's just I unlocked the cores (didn't do anything *lol*) it shows the temp in bios still.

No, it won't break. The CPU still knows if it is hot or not. It just won't let you know. xD