Planning some VM gaming

Hi everyone,

I have been running a unraid setup on my old computer, mostly as a media server but also to host minecraft. While it runs generally well, the hardware sometimes chokes with big movie files and cannot be upgraded more (Q8200+4gb RAM.)

I am thinking about installing unraid on my gaming setup and use a VM for my day-today Win10 use. I am not sure though if my setup is powerful enough to split between unraid and the VM. I'd want to still have everything running smoothly when gaming and see an improvement with Plex streaming. I am mostly worried about my amount of RAM and my number of cores once split. Please let me know what you think, here is my current setup:

Asrock Z270 Pro4

7700K not OC'ed yet

16GB ram (2x8gb)

1060 6gb

If this is possible I will probably setup the old pc to run pfsense. Thanks for your input!

Unraid would bring you an entirely new set of problems. You'd need either 2 monitors, keyboards and mice or you'd need to keep swapping cables every time you wanted to swap machines.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I run unraid headless, I only connect to it through the web ui, so that isn't real problem for me. Have you had bad experiences with unraid VM's?

Just now, audiocycle said:

I run unraid headless, I only connect to it through the web ui, so that isn't real problem for me. Have you had bad experiences with unraid VM's?

Not at all, in my experience UnRaid performs well for what it does but I've only ever played with it for fun. I've never ran it seriously.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)