Extremely low FPS on AC4

PaulC1
Go to solution Solved by Ineko,

In a city its pretty much at 50FPS now, sometimes 60 FPS if nothing is really happening, just got in to a group fight thing with some guards and it went down to 40's, sometimes 35. This is still with all lowest settings, they aren't great framerates but they are at least better and also my GPU usage pretty much never goes above 48%, do you think that's my CPU bottlenecking it or is the card just being awkward and not going to its full potential? I would also like to point out that my mobo only has a PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot, no PCI-E 3.0, do you think that could also be affecting it? Thanks for all your help anyway :P

The performance increase going from PCI-E 2.0 to 3.0 is pretty much non-existent for current GPUs. Your GPU pretty much should be pinned at 100% most of the time. It definitely sounds like your CPU is limiting your performance.

EDIT: After doing a little bit of research I found that your CPU is basically equal to a i3-2120 performance wise. Which would easily bottleneck a 770.

So, my diagnosis, CPU bottleneck.

It's optimized like shit, but that's still ver low FPS, I get around 45 on almost max witrh my 660 Ti.

Just a few weeks ago and I was barely able to push more than 40 on my 780

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

Just a few weeks ago and I was barely able to push more than 40 on my 780

Sounds like a problem on your side as well. I run 60+ almost everywhere and around 50ish in towns on a single 680 (had the second out to clean it but got lazy and played AC4 instead :P). That was with God Rays and PhysX disabled.

Are you using beta drivers?

Nope, just regular.

I might point out mine is the EVGA ACX Version

looks like your card doesn't ramp up the core clock. check with MSI Afterburner or EVGA precison, check and see if, and by how much your core clock increases.

Happens to me every time I update the drivers on my 680. It's just NVIDIA being shit. I always have to use a keyboard shortcut to restart it.

Although, I heard uninstalling and re-installing the drivers in safe mode fixes this problem.

Sounds more like it keeps itself amazingly under-clocked. Those are the kind of temps you'd expect from a full water cooling loop.

Ok so I just ran AC4 again and the new beta drivers seemed to have helped a tiny (only a couple of FPS) bit, but I checked afterburner while running the game and it is only going to a maximum of 1150MHz (which is the cards default clock) and I have OC'd it so that it should run at 1450Mhz but afterburner is only stating the maximum is 1150MHz even after I OC'd it and clicked apply, on GPU-Z it sometimes shows that the cards clock speed is 1450MHz but I just checked it there and it is back down to 1150MHz. So any suggestions on how to actually make my overclock work? This is getting ridiculous.  

Mirror's Edge 2. One day.

Ok so I just ran AC4 again and the new beta drivers seemed to have helped a tiny (only a couple of FPS) bit, but I checked afterburner while running the game and it is only going to a maximum of 1150MHz (which is the cards default clock) and I have OC'd it so that it should run at 1450Mhz but afterburner is only stating the maximum is 1150MHz even after I OC'd it and clicked apply, on GPU-Z it sometimes shows that the cards clock speed is 1450MHz but I just checked it there and it is back down to 1150MHz. So any suggestions on how to actually make my overclock work? This is getting ridiculous.  

1450Mhz? That's an insane clock and would overheat your card in seconds (or just crash because voltage is too low). I don't have a 700 series GPU so my knowledge of GPU Boost 2 is limited but I assume it's not going over your specified temps. So yea, that's not how overclocking works, you don't just put all the numbers in as high as they can go. You have to balance memory clock, core clock, voltage and temperatures.

Revert that 1450Mhz overclock just in case it breaks something, when the card is back a stock settings and download and run a benchmark like Heaven Valley and tell me your score. I'm off to bed now so I won't be able to reply any time soon.

1450Mhz? That's an insane clock and would overheat your card in seconds (or just crash because voltage is too low). I don't have a 700 series GPU so my knowledge of GPU Boost 2 is limited but I assume it's not going over your specified temps. So yea, that's not how overclocking works, you don't just put all the numbers in as high as they can go. You have to balance memory clock, core clock, voltage and temperatures.

Revert that 1450Mhz overclock just in case it breaks something, when the card is back a stock settings and download and run a benchmark like Heaven Valley and tell me your score. I'm off to bed now so I won't be able to reply any time soon.

Ok, everything at stock and just ran Valley, got a score of 1699. Also what'd ya know, GPU Boost must of actually worked because while that was running the card boosted itself up to 1280MHz. So do you think I just OC'd it too far?

Sounds like a problem on your side as well. I run 60+ almost everywhere and around 50ish in towns on a single 680 (had the second out to clean it but got lazy and played AC4 instead :P). That was with God Rays and PhysX disabled.

I currently get around 70 or 80 (I'm not sure because they lock you to 60) now that they optimized it.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

It's optimized like shit, but that's still ver low FPS, I get around 45 on almost max witrh my 660 Ti.

Somehow everyone that I know with a gtx 660ti gets better performance than me with my gtx 770. That's so darn strange.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

how do you get the fps # on the top of the screen ?

MSI Afterburner > Setings > Monitoring > Then highlight the things you want shown on screen from the big list and click "Show in On-Screen-Display" > Click "OK" > Then when you run a game it will show at the top

Somehow everyone that I know with a gtx 660ti gets better performance than me with my gtx 770. That's so darn strange.

Every Ubisoft game I own for PC runs like absolute crap. I think they just hate us all.

Very important, what cpu?

AMD Phenom II X6 1035T (6 core)

Every Ubisoft game I own for PC runs like absolute crap. I think they just hate us all.

Well Ubsisoft did say recently that that PC games shouldn't be optimized because we can always just use better graphics cards, I'm paraphrasing of course. However the devs of Ubisoft's upcoming game The Division said they're going to be working hard on a full fledged PC version. Which is good. :)

Ok, everything at stock and just ran Valley, got a score of 1699. Also what'd ya know, GPU Boost must of actually worked because while that was running the card boosted itself up to 1280MHz. So do you think I just OC'd it too far?

Seems to be in order, from what I can find most scores with a 770 range from about 1900-2100 (depending on OC) I think your CPU might be holding you back a bit. But the card seems to be working now, it OCd itself with gpu boost 2 and got a decent score in valley.

What's AC4 running like now? And what's your GPU usage sitting at whilst you'er playing.

Well Ubsisoft did say recently that that PC games shouldn't be optimized because we can always just use better graphics cards, I'm paraphrasing of course. However the devs of Ubisoft's upcoming game The Division said they're going to be working hard on a full fledged PC version. Which is good. :)

Seems to be in order, from what I can find most scores with a 770 range from about 1900-2100 (depending on OC) I think your CPU might be holding you back a bit. But the card seems to be working now, it OCd itself with gpu boost 2 and got a decent score in valley.

What's AC4 running like now? And what's your GPU usage sitting at whilst you'er playing.

In a city its pretty much at 50FPS now, sometimes 60 FPS if nothing is really happening, just got in to a group fight thing with some guards and it went down to 40's, sometimes 35. This is still with all lowest settings, they aren't great framerates but they are at least better and also my GPU usage pretty much never goes above 48%, do you think that's my CPU bottlenecking it or is the card just being awkward and not going to its full potential? I would also like to point out that my mobo only has a PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot, no PCI-E 3.0, do you think that could also be affecting it? Thanks for all your help anyway :P

The performance increase going from PCI-E 2.0 to 3.0 is pretty much non-existent for current GPUs. Your GPU pretty much should be pinned at 100% most of the time. It definitely sounds like your CPU is limiting your performance.

EDIT: After doing a little bit of research I found that your CPU is basically equal to a i3-2120 performance wise. Which would easily bottleneck a 770.

On everything low at 1080p I get about 33fps in jungle and 25fps in cities with the old PC in my Sig.

Maybe consider reinstalling the game or OS? Drivers? Reseat the card? Get a replacement card?

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

thats exactly what I was going to say, after reading page 1 and page 2 I knew your CPU was not god enough

looks like your CPU its bottlenecking your GPU, maybe if you change that GTX 770 for a 660Ti it will go much better

I'd recommend saving up a little a buying a new cpu/mobo. If your motherboard supports FX processors you could even just get a FX-6300.

Yes, your CPU is bottlenecking the GPU, like the other guys are saying, buy another CPU and you are good to go.

PC Specs: Case Corsair Vengeance C70 - CPU i7-4770K @3.5Ghz - MOBO Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H - RAM HyperX Fury 2x8GB @1600Mhz - GPU MSI VENTUS RTX 2080 SUPER - HDD Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB, WD Black 4TB - PSU EVGA 750 G2 - Display Samsung S22C150 - CPU Cooler CM 212 Hyper EVO - Mouse Steelseries Sensei 310 - Current Wattage by pcpartpicker: 387W.

Well at least we have the problem identified now :)

I'd recommend saving up a little a buying a new cpu/mobo. If your motherboard supports FX processors you could even just get a FX-6300.

I'll look in to it, thanks for all your help :D