SSD & HDD + Optane

Agonizel

Hi community,

I consider myself substantially ill-informed about optane memory. Here's basically what I think I know: Optane can make an HDD operate similarly to an SSD.

I have a 250GB SSD (on which my OS is installed) and a 1.5TB HDD. Some bigger volume games are on the HDD, but they load slowly (especially R6). 
My question is: Can I somehow pair Intel Optane with my current HDD to make it faster while keeping my OS (win10) on my SSD? If it's possible, how does it work?
Or am I just better off buying a 2nd SSD?

All this on a MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic motherboard.

Thanks for your help!

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

Hello Beer_Nontitju,

The Optane does exactly that! But you need to know a couple of things. Number 1 is that the Optane module accelerates drives to the PCIe speeds, which needless to say is way faster than any SATA drive. And number 2, sorry if I am redundant but, you can only accelerate SATA drives, so you can accelerate one SATA SSD or one SATA HDD or one Hybrid SATA drive the Seagate FireCuda but only the people accelerating HDDs will experience more benefits than the people accelerating SSDs. And finally one extra more, one third thing and I will give it to you for free ^_^ You can accelerate either your primary boot drive or a secondary unit, as long as they are SATA you will be able to but only one drive can be accelerated with Optane at a time. 

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

13 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

You can accelerate either your primary boot drive or a secondary unit

Thank you for your answer ! 

My goal is to accelerate my HDD (my secondary unit?) in order to make my games load faster. If I understand you correctly, you are telling me that it's possible?

18 hours ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

All this on a MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic motherboard

Optane is only supported on 7th Gen or newer Intel CPUs.

Ryzen has a feature called storemi, however it's only available on x470 motherboards.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

37 minutes ago, Spotty said:

snip

Alright, guess I'll buy a new SSD then. Thanks!