short-circuited M.2 SSD?

Zaintne
Hey guys, I'm having a computer problem and hoping one of you guys can help.

I was using my pc as normal, but all the sudden I get an error message saying, "critical process stopped" so I restart the pc but then ran into the "bootmgr is missing" so I check the bios and apparently my windows drive "samsung 960 evo" (M.2 drive) was not detected anymore. I've unplugged the pc from the wall for 5 min then plug it in and was able to get back to windows but after a couple of minutes I got the same error and problem again. However, when I try the solution before, it's not working this time and have not been able to boot into windows for about an hour now. My Mobo is the asus maximus code IX and it have 2 M.2 slots so I tried switching the SSD around but still no prevail. 
I've plugged the SSD into my laptop since it also have a M.2 slot but the laptop won't event boot to the manufacture's logo so I think it might be fried since there was a sticky putty under the chipset heatsink when i first install the SSD that I thought to be thermal tape, but it was greasy when i opened the heatsink back up and there was some grease on the SSD.

My question is, is there a chance that I can save the SSD? or is the really is fried, in that case, can I somehow recover the data from it since it was my boot drive with all my documents in it?

I can also post pictures if that helps.

Hello Zaintne,

Can you post a picture of the putty? If you have a multi meter can you measure out 1 cm by 1 cm and check the resistance of the putty?

Thank you,

-CancelShredWasted 

30 minutes ago, CancelShredWasted said:

Hello Zaintne,

Can you post a picture of the putty? If you have a multi meter can you measure out 1 cm by 1 cm and check the resistance of the putty?

Thank you,

-CancelShredWasted 

There's a marked spot on under the heatsink where the putty fits perfectly and on top of the SSD, hence that why i thought it might be a thermal tape.

P.S. I assembled this PC back in january so it has been working fine for the past 8 months. The problem was just randomly out of no where

20180910_234353.jpg

20180910_234357.jpg

Hello

27 minutes ago, Zaintne said:

There's a marked spot on under the heatsink where the putty fits perfectly and on top of the SSD, hence that why i thought it might be a thermal tape.

P.S. I assembled this PC back in january so it has been working fine for the past 8 months. The problem was just randomly out of no where

20180910_234353.jpg

20180910_234357.jpg

Hello,

Have you tried taking the m2 ssd and cleaning with rubbing isopropyl alcohol? Would you happen know the heat it was running before it died? If the grease shorted it you might be able to clean out with rubbing alcohol and q-tips. Please post a picture of the pins of the M2 ssd front and back.

-CancelShredWasted

12 hours ago, CancelShredWasted said:

Hello

Hello,

Have you tried taking the m2 ssd and cleaning with rubbing isopropyl alcohol? Would you happen know the heat it was running before it died? If the grease shorted it you might be able to clean out with rubbing alcohol and q-tips. Please post a picture of the pins of the M2 ssd front and back.

-CancelShredWasted

I've tried to clean it with isopropyl alcohol but to no prevail. When I was using it, I was just watching youtube (ironically it was the linusTechTipsShow) so it was running around 45 C on the CPU and lower at 38 C for the GPU. In picture, you can clearly see the "grease" spots, after cleaning with rubbing alcohol, the front spot seems to be clear but the back spot is not.

I've have went out to the local bestbuy to get a new card but they only have the newer 970 version (so I can't just do a quick swap return), and with the new card it was recognized by both slots so it is definitely problem with the old SSD. 

20180911_103516.jpg

20180911_103523.jpg

On 9/11/2018 at 11:24 AM, Zaintne said:

I've tried to clean it with isopropyl alcohol but to no prevail. When I was using it, I was just watching youtube (ironically it was the linusTechTipsShow) so it was running around 45 C on the CPU and lower at 38 C for the GPU. In picture, you can clearly see the "grease" spots, after cleaning with rubbing alcohol, the front spot seems to be clear but the back spot is not.

I've have went out to the local bestbuy to get a new card but they only have the newer 970 version (so I can't just do a quick swap return), and with the new card it was recognized by both slots so it is definitely problem with the old SSD. 

20180911_103516.jpg

20180911_103523.jpg

Hello,

At this point time it looks like hardware is fried. I would avoid using that M2 port until you can find out what happened.How old was it? You might be able to take it to a data recovery shop. 

-CancelShredWasted

11 hours ago, CancelShredWasted said:

Hello,

At this point time it looks like hardware is fried. I would avoid using that M2 port until you can find out what happened.How old was it? You might be able to take it to a data recovery shop. 

-CancelShredWasted

Unfortunately, I had it since January so around 8 months, way passed newegg RMA policy. I currently trying to survive a hurricane at the moment but will try to talk to newegg to see if they can do something since I think it is still under the manufacturer's warranty.