2990WX overclocking issue

Hello, first timer here.

So I am currently trying my hardest to overclock 2990WX, so far unsuccessfully.

So what I am having issues, is that when I turn on AMD's Precision Boost Overdrive, it overclocks my cpu maybe to 3.1-3.2Ghz, that is it. when I open up Ryzen Master utility, it shows that I am limited with PPT of 250W and it does not allow me to turn it up higher, same with TDC, it shows 100% and it does not let me go higher. Temps are only around 60 degrees, PSU is a 750W gold, there is no beefy GPU, only a 1050, running the display, windows updates all done, windows power profile is on high performance etc. I am all out of ideas. I have seen some guys opening some limits up in bios, my MSI x399 gaming carbon bios does not seem to have any option where I can open up the power envelope. Right now it seems that it is just holding back with the power it is giving to the cpu. I have doublechecked that the 2 extra connectors are connected to the mobo, though I dont know how to check if the psu is working correctly and delivering power well enough. I am just out of ideas, there is no info on google either, maybe some of you has an idea, what the issue might be.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Overclocking does increase the amount of power the CPU will draw quite dramatically. 

Look at some of the videos Linus has done on overclocking high end recent CPU's.

Additionally, the better quality the power input, the better your chances of sustaining a higher OC. Linus covers this in the videos though. 

From memory, stock coolers also won't really allow for an OC, even though your CPU temp seems fine. With such a high TDP chip, you are going to want a decent cooling solution if you plan on pushing the CPU much. At a minimum, a high end AIO cooler, if not going a custom liquid loop. 

I suspect for a higher OC you will need to manually configure the OC in the BIOS as opposed to relying on the manufacturers options.  Any software AMD or the motherboard manufacturer provide will play it well and truly on the safe side when it comes to OC'ing. 

Thank you for the answer DogKnight, but I think you misunderstood a little bit, can't blame you though, it is a bit tough situation. To answer to you.

I am not completely new to this, I know what overclocking does to a CPU, and my issue here was that CPU was dawing too little amount of power. Second, the quality of the power does not have a play in this right now, rather the quantity does. Third, 2990wx does not have a stock cooler, I do have a AIO watercooler on it, temps are below 60 while stressing.

Now back to the case on hand.

Here is where I am so far, I found from Bios, that if I put Precision Boost Overdrive to manual, I can change the PPT, TDC and EDC manually. Default figures are 250w, 215A and 300A. If I cange the first two, cpu overclocks to around 3.2Ghz and basically is limited by the third figure. Third one I can only change up to like 340A and then it is stable at 3.5 or so, if I go higher, the whole thing crashes, even the power button does not work. I have to cut the psu. Temps at the same time, still below 60.

another issue that I have now is, when it overclocks to 3.5, the clock starts to fluctuate after a minute of stresstesting, it goes from 3500Mhz to 600 every second and just keeps jumping back and forth, and it is 100% not thermal throttling, temps are waaay down for that. 

So that is where I am stuck right now, how to get rid of this fluctuation and how to get the mobo to give more amps to the cpu without crashing the whole thing?

2 hours ago, r1v0 said:

Thank you for the answer DogKnight, but I think you misunderstood a little bit, can't blame you though, it is a bit tough situation. To answer to you.

I am not completely new to this, I know what overclocking does to a CPU, and my issue here was that CPU was dawing too little amount of power. Second, the quality of the power does not have a play in this right now, rather the quantity does. Third, 2990wx does not have a stock cooler, I do have a AIO watercooler on it, temps are below 60 while stressing.

Now back to the case on hand.

Here is where I am so far, I found from Bios, that if I put Precision Boost Overdrive to manual, I can change the PPT, TDC and EDC manually. Default figures are 250w, 215A and 300A. If I cange the first two, cpu overclocks to around 3.2Ghz and basically is limited by the third figure. Third one I can only change up to like 340A and then it is stable at 3.5 or so, if I go higher, the whole thing crashes, even the power button does not work. I have to cut the psu. Temps at the same time, still below 60.

another issue that I have now is, when it overclocks to 3.5, the clock starts to fluctuate after a minute of stresstesting, it goes from 3500Mhz to 600 every second and just keeps jumping back and forth, and it is 100% not thermal throttling, temps are waaay down for that. 

So that is where I am stuck right now, how to get rid of this fluctuation and how to get the mobo to give more amps to the cpu without crashing the whole thing?

Part of it is probably your PSU may not be able to supply enough power on a single 12V rail.

What exact PSU are you using?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

seasonic focus+ 750W gold, modular

okay, update on the jumping thing. Ryzen master and bios are showing cpu temp as 60-65 degrees. Aida64, hwmonitor etc are showing cpu temp as 90+ degrees, and apparently it is throttling down regards to those temps. waterblock is not hot to touch and air blowing through radiator is cool as well, who to believe? 

17 hours ago, r1v0 said:

No worries mate. 

Could it be related to not enough power to the motherboard? Some motherboards allow you to connect a 12v rail and an additional 8v rail I think. If you only had one of these connected, or your motherboard doesn't have multiple power connectors, it could be a reason the CPU is not getting enough power. 

13 hours ago, r1v0 said:

okay, update on the jumping thing. Ryzen master and bios are showing cpu temp as 60-65 degrees. Aida64, hwmonitor etc are showing cpu temp as 90+ degrees, and apparently it is throttling down regards to those temps. waterblock is not hot to touch and air blowing through radiator is cool as well, who to believe? 

Perhaps one is monitoring the CPU package as a whole while one is showing a core temp. Haven't used the tools enough to know. 

Potentially worth checking temp of other motherboard components such as the VRM's. If you're pumping additional voltage through, perhaps these are getting overloaded. However you have a very high end board with overclocking support being advertised so hopefully it isn't the case.