Laptop screen flicker

Go to solution Solved by Onboard87,

do you have an video out to connect to a monitor? and if so does the monitor flash also?

Hi everyone,

So up until recently, I've been noticing my laptop screen starts to flicker (not go completely dark but rather flashing) whenever I connect or disconnect from any of my Bluetooth connected devices.

Multiple driver updates for my graphics card have been released since the issue but none have affected it in any way so that probably rules that one out.

I also haven't made any changes to my power settings and the brightness of the display is always at max.

If anyone has a clue as to what might fix this I'm happy to hear it!

(I've attached a short video of the issue that might support my explanation, it is quite difficult to see it though.)

*UPDATE* It also happens when connecting a USB device.

Laptop Model and specs:

HP Pavilion Power 15"

i7 7700HQ

16GB RAM

GTX 1050 4GB

256GB SSD

1TB HDD

VID_20180903_193806.mp4

13 minutes ago, Snieky said:

Hi everyone,

So up until recently, I've been noticing my laptop screen starts to flicker (not go completely dark but rather flashing) whenever I connect or disconnect from any of my Bluetooth connected devices.

Multiple driver updates for my graphics card have been released since the issue but none have affected it in any way so that probably rules that one out.

I also haven't made any changes to my power settings and the brightness of the display is always at max.

If anyone has a clue as to what might fix this I'm happy to hear it!

(I've attached a short video of the issue that might support my explanation, it is quite difficult to see it though.)

*UPDATE* It also happens when connecting a USB device.

Laptop Model and specs:

HP Pavilion Power 15"

i7 7700HQ

16GB RAM

GTX 1050 4GB

256GB SSD

1TB HDD

VID_20180903_193806.mp4

sounds like a power issue does it do it when it's plugged into the wall?

if at first you don't break it you must have followed the directions

1 minute ago, Onboard87 said:

sounds like a power issue does it do it when it's plugged into the wall?

Yes, It occurs both when plugged into the adapter and on battery. Power profiles also do not affect the issue.

do you have an video out to connect to a monitor? and if so does the monitor flash also?

26 minutes ago, Onboard87 said:

Just tried this, connecting it to an HDMI monitor doesn't give this issue. If I duplicate the displays the issue persisted once on my laptop's screen but not on the external monitor. Now that I've disconnected it the issue isn't showing up. But I'll restart in a minute to verify.

3 hours ago, Snieky said:

Just tried this, connecting it to an HDMI monitor doesn't give this issue. If I duplicate the displays the issue persisted once on my laptop's screen but not on the external monitor. Now that I've disconnected it the issue isn't showing up. But I'll restart in a minute to verify.

awesome! 

On 9/4/2018 at 12:08 AM, Onboard87 said:

awesome! 

Been testing for a day now, Issue hasn't popped up anymore. I'm gonna go ahead and say it's fixed. Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, Snieky said:

Been testing for a day now, Issue hasn't popped up anymore. I'm gonna go ahead and say it's fixed. Thanks for your help!

no problem