Poor performance on CSGO with GTX1080

ShadowzPower

Hello everyone, in december 2017 I built my 3rd gaming rig that I wanted to use without having to think about compromises in games and it sure handles everything that I throw at it...

Except for CSGO wich runs like crap, one year has passed and I still can't play a light game like CS because my computer can't keep the frame rate high nor stable, it flutters like hell and it's impossible to play since I've upgraded to a 144Hz monitor.

The only thing that made it almost playable was VSync but it still manages to dip below 100 FPS down to the low 30 wich is absurd.

i have a 7800x with 16Gb of 2400Mhz RAM and a Strix GTX1080. The only other games that have this problem are Half Life 2 and CS Source,all of them run on the Source engine so that might be the problem.

The bad part is that nothing improves or changes after lowering the in-game details or applying commands before starting the game so it's obviously a software problem.

Any suggestions? 

I saw someone posting that his CS:GO is also having a drop of framerate (but he was using a 1060).

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

Disable Panorama by setting launch options in steam as -scaleform

My life

3 minutes ago, mikedrewsmy said:

I saw someone posting that his CS:GO is also having a drop of framerate (but he was using a 1060).

My problem is that not only my game drops frame but it already starts below 150FPS (with a 1080) and flutters between 40 and 150 and it's constant, so much so that it makes me sick

3 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Disable Panorama by setting launch options in steam as -scaleform

It was doing it long before that, so I don't think Panorama is the problem, also it doesn't work, it still boots with Panorama

1 minute ago, ShadowzPower said:

It was doing it long before that, so I don't think Panorama is the problem

Just try

Playing CS in the past few days tells me that they fixed a lot of previous problems and that Panorama is the reason for bad perforamnce 99 percent of the tine

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

Just try

Playing CS in the past few days tells me that they fixed a lot of previous problems and that Panorama is the reason for bad perforamnce 99 percent of the tine

I tried, nothing happened, it still booted with Panorama.

I forgot to mention that not only I have problems with performance, but it seems that no matter what command I use in the launch options, the computer won't care about it, it just ignores everything

Just thought about it: does your card have a low power mode? CS:GO is most likely not tapping the GPU much at all, ditto with Half-Life 2 and CS:Source.

Change your power plan to High Performance in Control Panel and see if that has any effect, too.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Just thought about it: does your card have a low power mode? CS:GO is most likely not tapping the GPU much at all, ditto with Half-Life 2 and CS:Source.

Change your power plan to High Performance in Control Panel and see if that has any effect, too.

I don't know what you exactly mean, I have the GPU fully clocked in GPU Tweak there's nothing regarding low power.

Also, in GMod and Portal 2 it doesn't give any problems and they still run on Source

Just now, ShadowzPower said:

I don't know what you exactly mean, I have the GPU fully clocked in GPU Tweak there's nothing regarding low power.

Also, in GMod and Portal 2 it doesn't give any problems and they still run on Source

I can imagine that you're not getting a ton of shit in Gmod, especially if you're running a lot of, well, mods.

Pascal cards, from what I remember, have methods of controlling how the card can run to save on power and to allow the card to run quieter when it's not being taxed.

Make sure you have multi-core usage enabled in the settings. Panorama automatically disabled it for some reason. 

Even if it says enabled, disable it, save, and then re enable it and save. 

idk

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

I can imagine that you're not getting a ton of shit in Gmod, especially if you're running a lot of, well, mods.

Pascal cards, from what I remember, have methods of controlling how the card can run to save on power and to allow the card to run quieter when it's not being taxed.

Not really, it's been a while since I've played GMod but even with hundreds of mods it never had a problem, fun fact, I played on my 4K TV and it handled it like nothing

Just now, Droidbot said:

Make sure you have multi-core usage enabled in the settings. Panorama automatically disabled it for some reason. 

Already checked and it is on, but it doesn't change a thing whether it is on or off.

Also, overclocking both the GPU and CPU made no difference

Just now, ShadowzPower said:

Not really, it's been a while since I've played GMod but even with hundreds of mods it never had a problem, fun fact, I played on my 4K TV and it handled it like nothing

Yeah, and that's how most Source games should be except for *shivers* Team Fortress 2.
Yeah, just seems like a weird issue with the card. What resolution are you targeting here? I'd try to see if targeting higher resolutions in CS:GO specifically helps.

Yeah, and that's how most Source games should be except for *shivers* Team Fortress 2.
Yeah, just seems like a weird issue with the card. What resolution are you targeting here? I'd try to see if targeting higher resolutions in CS:GO specifically helps.

I have a 21:9 LG monitor that is 2560x1080 and it's connected with DisplayPort. 

I honestly have no clue since the card works wonders with much heavier loads and with other Source game even.

I've also read that CSGO is CPU intensive but I basically have an 8700k without iGPU and it's heavily clocked too so I really don't know what to think.

1 minute ago, ShadowzPower said:

I have a 21:9 LG monitor that is 2560x1080 and it's connected with DisplayPort. 

I honestly have no clue since the card works wonders with much heavier loads and with other Source game even.

I've also read that CSGO is CPU intensive but I basically have an 8700k without iGPU and it's heavily clocked too so I really don't know what to think.

The game is more CPU hammering, but there's no reason you should be getting lows to the 30s.

Try messing with CPU affinity in Task Manager; give CS the last four threads of your CPU.

The game is more CPU hammering, but there's no reason you should be getting lows to the 30s.

Try messing with CPU affinity in Task Manager; give CS the last four threads of your CPU.

I don't know how to do it, but I'll try

2 minutes ago, ShadowzPower said:

I don't know how to do it, but I'll try

For this demonstration I'm using a Vivaldi tab to show you how to do so.

Go to the Details tab in Task Manager, find "csgo.exe" (or hl2.exe for Half-Life 2 and CS:Source), right click, click on Set affinity

Bofeo.png

Set csgo.exe to use the last 4 threads of your CPU.

BoffB.png

I have a Ryzen 7 1700X, so for me it'd be "CPU 12-15", but it's obviously going to be different threads for you.

5 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

For this demonstration I'm using a Vivaldi tab to show you how to do so.

Go to the Details tab in Task Manager, find "csgo.exe" (or hl2.exe for Half-Life 2 and CS:Source), right click, click on Set affinity

Bofeo.png

Set csgo.exe to use the last 4 threads of your CPU.

BoffB.png

I have a Ryzen 7 1700X, so for me it'd be "CPU 12-15", but it's obviously going to be different threads for you.

Well it just made it worse, not it struggles to even do 100FPS

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Ouch, alright.

Alright, I'm kinda out of ideas, then.

Rip