Upgrading to ssd

MasudRana

Hi! This is Masud again, I want to upgrade my pc with ssd. I had using my pc last 3 months with wd 1tb hdd. I am thinking that i am going to install the windows to the ssd, and store the files to the hdd, my wd hdd already installed windows 10. so what should i do next? should i just clean the hdd "c" drive and install the windows the ssd? should i have to fomat the whole 1tb hdd? i have lots of files stored in it..please tell me. Thank you.

If you have nothing on the hard drive you want to keep, then install Windows on the SSD, make sure the system appears more or less okay, then wipe the hard drive.

I suggest it in this order in case for some reason the SSD doesn't work right, you at least have another disk you can boot from.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you have nothing on the hard drive you want to keep, then install Windows on the SSD, make sure the system appears more or less okay, then wipe the hard drive.

I suggest it in this order in case for some reason the SSD doesn't work right, you at least have another disk you can boot from.

I have many files on the hdd . what to do? is there any problem if i dont clean my hdd and install windows to the ssd?

Just now, MasudRana said:

I have many files on the hdd . what to do? is there any problem if i dont clean my hdd and install windows to the ssd?

You just have to make sure the boot order is the SSD first so the system doesn't boot from the HDD. Alternatively you could wipe the bootloader partition from the HDD so the system won't even bother:

image.png.8cc24a392ef3909c1efb5a2d04717f86.png

If you don't want the Windows folder on the HDD, it may be more trouble than it's worth to simply press "Delete" on it because of permissions. Instead, copy what you need from the hard drive's Users\[username] folder and then reformat the drive when you're satisfied.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You just have to make sure the boot order is the SSD first so the system doesn't boot from the HDD. Alternatively you could wipe the bootloader partition from the HDD so the system won't even bother:

image.png.8cc24a392ef3909c1efb5a2d04717f86.png

If you don't want the Windows folder on the HDD, it may be more trouble than it's worth to simply press "Delete" on it because of permissions. Instead, copy what you need from the hard drive's Users\[username] folder and then reformat the drive when you're satisfied.

Thanks! I just want to know that In my current hdd installed windows 10. if i want to install windows 10 on my ssd, i have to clean the hdd windows drive only, right? or i have to clean the whole hdd?

2 minutes ago, MasudRana said:

Thanks! I just want to know that In my current hdd installed windows 10. if i want to install windows 10 on my ssd, i have to clean the hdd windows drive only, right? or i have to clean the whole hdd?

You don't have to clean the HDD. You can install Windows 10 on the SSD and the installer won't care there's another drive with Windows installed. But to minimize the risk of selecting the wrong storage drive, unplug the HDD first.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

You don't have to clean the HDD. You can install Windows 10 on the SSD and the installer won't care there's another drive with Windows installed. But to minimize the risk of selecting the wrong storage drive, unplug the HDD first.

Thanks a lot! It will help me :D

You can use a clone software to "transfer" your windows from the HDD to the SSD and then format the HDD, after that you can transfer the files back to the HDD. This is a cleaner way. If you can't do that, you don't have the necessary space on the SSD or don't have another spare drive, go with the solution from M.Yurizaki.