Home media setup help

Noctus

So i will be getting a nice bit of cash in the next few weeks and have been toying with the idea of upgrading my room into a "pad" with a nice media setup (with nice couch + rug + table etc etc). Pricing out a 4k projector, Dolby Atmos 5.1 speaker set (inc AVR), DS918+ (old DS413j is slow and showing it's age, prob turn that into a "data backup" NAS) and a shiny new 6tb WD red (one 2TB drive failed recently) i'm looking @ £3.5k (rounding up).

Now, it's not that i'm adverse to spending that (if i get more cash than i'm expecting, that price above will certainly rise) but, if i can get a similar media experience for less without compromising vastly... im open to suggestions.

Streaming from the NAS will be only myself to either a 4k projector or TV and potentially my phone if i'm not at home (unlikely, but wouldn't say no to the option). I also use Netflix / 4K Prime box (both at 1080p atm), so i'd love to upgrade to the "cinema" experience of a 4k projector.  What i need from you guy's n gals are alternatives to what i'm thinking of getting that would reduce the cost if plausible. For reference i was considering: 

Projector: Optoma UHD60

or

TV: Samsung Q9FN

Sound: Onkyo Dolby atmos 5.1.2

NAS: Ds918+ 

Forgot to mention:

For the projector/TV boffins that reply, i'll be sitting roughly 10ft away from the wall i plan to have my media displayed on/at. Max range the projector can sit at is 15ft~ from the opposite wall.

Thanks for any help given

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

So, first and foremost I'd say calculate the price per inch of the projector and TV. I'd also HIGHLY recommend not get a projector with a standard bulb. They just burn out and it's annoying as hell. That one claims 10,000 hours which is 400 and some odd days, but that's kind of only if it doesn't burn out before then.

The other thing is with projectors you need a rather dark room as really any light will reduce the vibrancy. I'd also recommend a short throw printer so people walking by don't break the beam.

So at the very least you'll want to get one with a LED or LASER light for longevity and look for the brightest one you can to help with light dimming.

This should be LG's offering. https://www.lg.com/us/home-video/lg-HU80KA-projector?cmpid=sem|HE|Projector|Projector_AON|PDP|Google|2018HEProjector-SEM-Generic-Exact-0626_HU80KA|Picture-Quality_4K-UHD|4k-short-throw-projector&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0eqUiur53AIVE9VkCh169gBjEAAYASAAEgKFs_D_BwE

In any case if you get a projector (if it's not short throw) mounting it on the ceiling is usually the best option.

Don't really know if I can help you get anything "cheaper" though. Projectors and Atmos receivers are pricey.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

So, first and foremost I'd say calculate the price per inch of the projector and TV. I'd also HIGHLY recommend not get a projector with a standard bulb. They just burn out and it's annoying as hell. That one claims 10,000 hours which is 400 and some odd days, but that's kind of only if it doesn't burn out before then.

The other thing is with projectors you need a rather dark room as really any light will reduce the vibrancy. I'd also recommend a short throw printer so people walking by don't break the beam.

So at the very least you'll want to get one with a LED or LASER light for longevity and look for the brightest one you can to help with light dimming.

This should be LG's offering. https://www.lg.com/us/home-video/lg-HU80KA-projector?cmpid=sem|HE|Projector|Projector_AON|PDP|Google|2018HEProjector-SEM-Generic-Exact-0626_HU80KA|Picture-Quality_4K-UHD|4k-short-throw-projector&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0eqUiur53AIVE9VkCh169gBjEAAYASAAEgKFs_D_BwE

In any case if you get a projector (if it's not short throw) mounting it on the ceiling is usually the best option.

Don't really know if I can help you get anything "cheaper" though. Projectors and Atmos receivers are pricey.

Well thank you for the reply =]

I wouldn't mind a short throw projector though i was planning to have it sit behind me about 7.5ft high. My current room will be no bother for darkness, even during the day i can get it pretty lightless. 4k isn't the be all and end all, can use a highly spec'd 1080 one. Just don't want something to blow my pocket to smithereens lol. 4K TV alternative is also cool.

I'll keep that LG on the shortlist tho as it does look nice indeed. As for "cheaper" i was meaning anything costing less but "almost" as good as my "desired" list. Doesn't have to have Atmos or be a projector etc, just a combination of really good equipment that does as well with less money/features.

cheers

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Well out the gate the projectors are cheaper than the TV by a fair amount. I just remember when we had one set up in the living room (Granted this was a while ago and it wasn't the nicest projector) but it did get a little annoying having to constantly keep the house as dark as possible since if a window was open or a light was on the screen would basically disappear. Newer, better, brighter projectors claim to be better about it though.

For the sound system... depending on how much you're willing to sacrifice you could probably get an Atmos soundbar that has rear surrounds. Though even those tend to get pretty damn pricey too.

I have a 5.1 wrapped nice n' snug around me at my desk, with my rears being ceiling mounted... I haven't tried an Atmos system... but not a whole hell of a lot really utilizes it yet. I guess if you want to future proof now you can, otherwise I don't feel like I'm missing a whole hell of a lot. But again, I haven't tried it. Apparently Netflix streams some things with it though.

In my honest personal experience though, games make you appreciate surround sound WAY more than movies. Movies seem to always keep most dialogue and audio in general on the center and front pair. The rears are often reduced to just background noise and chatter.

Compared to something like my favorite for surround sound, The Witcher 3 which has amazing audio quality, there's no distortions or unnecessary filtering and audio transitions smoothly all around you. nothing is limited to the center channel, which is always a bit weird when a character in move in game is right of screen or behind and you hear them from the front. There's just no question, games are way better for surround sound than any movie I've tried yet.

#Muricaparrotgang

31 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Well out the gate the projectors are cheaper than the TV by a fair amount. I just remember when we had one set up in the living room (Granted this was a while ago and it wasn't the nicest projector) but it did get a little annoying having to constantly keep the house as dark as possible since if a window was open or a light was on the screen would basically disappear. Newer, better, brighter projectors claim to be better about it though.

For the sound system... depending on how much you're willing to sacrifice you could probably get an Atmos soundbar that has rear surrounds. Though even those tend to get pretty damn pricey too.

I have a 5.1 wrapped nice n' snug around me at my desk, with my rears being ceiling mounted... I haven't tried an Atmos system... but not a whole hell of a lot really utilizes it yet. I guess if you want to future proof now you can, otherwise I don't feel like I'm missing a whole hell of a lot. But again, I haven't tried it. Apparently Netflix streams some things with it though.

In my honest personal experience though, games make you appreciate surround sound WAY more than movies. Movies seem to always keep most dialogue and audio in general on the center and front pair. The rears are often reduced to just background noise and chatter.

Compared to something like my favorite for surround sound, The Witcher 3 which has amazing audio quality, there's no distortions or unnecessary filtering and audio transitions smoothly all around you. nothing is limited to the center channel, which is always a bit weird when a character in move in game is right of screen or behind and you hear them from the front. There's just no question, games are way better for surround sound than any movie I've tried yet.

Yeah i get what your saying.

I do intend to get a cheap ps4 pro (and eventually ps5) for gaming exclusives, using my PC with better graphics for "big" games like witcher 3. I'm using a basic logitech 5.1 system for my PC from 5+ years ago atm, i think ANY newer 5.1/7.1 system will be a welcomed upgrade.

On further searching i've spied the Nvidia Shield, previously i thought it was a gimmicky gaming thing, now i realize it could serve instead of buying a vastly more expensive and newer NAS unit and just continue to use my current dated NAS as direct access for the files, since the shield can handle any possible transcoding i'd require. Free's up cash i can dump into a better 4k TV or Projector .....

I had a REAL cheap Logitech 5.1 I paired up with the classic legendary Logitech 2.1 speakers (Forget the model name) for a ghetto rigged 7.1 Transferring over to a little Yamaha 5.1 setup is amazing and all the speakers actually sound the same. xD

I think in terms of projectors I'd say if it's going to be a separate like... media room only (Unlike our open living room forcing us to keep the whole house essentially as dark as possible) then its the better option to get a bigger screen for cheaper. Especially if the new ones are bright enough to not require it be pitch black.

Unless maybe you're like my friend the Vampire who put slide switches all over his house so none of his lights are ever on more than ~20%...

#Muricaparrotgang