New Build - processor temp too high

Pathan

Hi,

I made a new build a couple of weeks back (specs below). The problem is the processor temps (while playing some AAA titles on max settings) hovers between 80C - 89C. The GPU temperature is stable at 70C. 

I'm a little concerned about the processor temperatures. Not sure if the airflow i have setup is incorrect and/or if something can be done to improve it. I've got the H700i and i've used CAM to put all fans on performance. (using HW monitor for temp monitoring though). 

PC specs: 

i7 8700k

Asus strix 1080ti 11gb

Maximus X hero 

16GB corsair 3200mhz

NZXT kraken X62 

H700i

960 EVO Samsung 500GB

Airflow setup:

3 stock case fans front panel - intake

Kraken X62 radiator top panel - intake (with fans on top of the radiator pulling air inside)

Stock exhaust fan rear panel 

Essentially, i would like to see the CPU temperatures go down from the high 80s (maxes out at 89C). To do so, should i:

- Take the x62 out of the top panel and place it in the front? (saw a video where front based radiators are better for CPU temps if you're using an open air card) 
- Change the stock fans to get better ones that run at higher RPM?

- Tinker with the fan settings to put them all on max performance (except GPU, keep that on auto). Question is though: with the above specs do i really need to be doing that in the first place?

Sorry for the long rant, it's my first build in a very long time and cost quite a bit. Would appreciate any tips / suggestions.

Thanks!

That's 8700K beeing 8700K. If you dont care about your warranty then delid it, you will have significantly lowe temps, nothing else you can do. That sucker runs hotter than the suns surface temperatur

40 minutes ago, Pathan said:

Airflow setup:

3 stock case fans front panel - intake

Kraken X62 radiator top panel - intake (with fans on top of the radiator pulling air inside)

Stock exhaust fan rear panel

Seems to me that there's not be enough air flowing out of the case.

I would strongly recommend using the kraken rad+fans on top of your case as exhaust instead of intake.

Also, you didn't mention whether you're overclocking the CPU or not. Pushing these i7's without deliding them can easily result in these high temps.

SFF PC - Dan Case A4-SFX V4.1 | Asus ROG Strix B450-i | AMD Ryzen R5 3600 4.2GHz @ 1.08V | Asetek 645LT AiO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 | EVGA 1080Ti SC | Corsair SF600 Platinum | Samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSD 1TB

Mid Tower - NZXT Noctis 450 | Asus Z270 Maximus IX Hero | Intel Core i7-7700K delid 5GHz @ 1.32V | NZXT Kraken X62 AiO | Corsair Vengeance LED 3200MHz CL16 | ASUS ROG Strix GTX1080 (a8g) | Corsair RM850 | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSD 500GB | WD Blue 4TB

4 hours ago, ZyrtX said:

Seems to me that there's not be enough air flowing out of the case.

I would strongly recommend using the kraken rad+fans on top of your case as exhaust instead of intake.

Also, you didn't mention whether you're overclocking the CPU or not. Pushing these i7's without deliding them can easily result in these high temps.

Hi,

Not sure if having the rad+fans & the rear fan set to exhaust will cause negative airflow? The front end fans set to intake are stock. Can try this setup if you think it'd work. 

Also, i'm not overclocking either CPU/GPU. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

On 30. 7. 2018 at 3:31 PM, Pathan said:

Hi,

Not sure if having the rad+fans & the rear fan set to exhaust will cause negative airflow? The front end fans set to intake are stock. Can try this setup if you think it'd work. 

Also, i'm not overclocking either CPU/GPU. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

As far as I know, the ideal setup would be air flowing from bottom to top and front to back.

If you have 3 fans in front of the case as intake, the airflow should be well balanced. 

85+°C seems pretty high if you're not overclocking, I would double-check whether the pump is properly attached, maybe even try re-mounting it.

If it is, then the CPU probably just runs that hot. It is probably possible, since I remember my pre-delid 7700k used to run pretty hot too and that chip is a good deal less powerful than 8700k.

SFF PC - Dan Case A4-SFX V4.1 | Asus ROG Strix B450-i | AMD Ryzen R5 3600 4.2GHz @ 1.08V | Asetek 645LT AiO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 | EVGA 1080Ti SC | Corsair SF600 Platinum | Samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSD 1TB

Mid Tower - NZXT Noctis 450 | Asus Z270 Maximus IX Hero | Intel Core i7-7700K delid 5GHz @ 1.32V | NZXT Kraken X62 AiO | Corsair Vengeance LED 3200MHz CL16 | ASUS ROG Strix GTX1080 (a8g) | Corsair RM850 | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSD 500GB | WD Blue 4TB