Usb audio interface Vs DAC/AMP

Toomey

Hi, I bought the Sennheiser hd6xx that Linus loves so much and I like them. My LG v30 can drive them no problem, but I can't say the same about my gaming pc.

This is why I'm now considering if I should buy a new usb audio interface or a dac/amp and I'm wondering if it would be smart to go for a audio interface instead since it would also be possible to hook up a microphone to it.

I suppose the answer to this comes from if you need to hook up a microphone or not :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I suppose the answer to this comes from if you need to hook up a microphone or not :P

Yeah, but I'm wondering if there is any drawbacks to using a audio interface? They seem relatively cheep compared to a lot of the dac amp combos I have looked at. Also I'm a bit confused as to how I can figure out if it's able to drive my headphones or not

4 minutes ago, Toomey said:

Yeah, but I'm wondering if there is any drawbacks to using a audio interface? They seem relatively cheep compared to a lot of the dac amp combos I have looked at. Also I'm a bit confused as to how I can figure out if it's able to drive my headphones or not

I think the quality for driving headphones will not be as good.  If they're giving you more functionality for less money, that's a sign that something is cheaper. 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

When you refer "audio interface" you mean sound card? if its so dont buy it, any decent mobo performs same as a sound card, same drawbacks.

If you live in us you can get the most powerful amp and a dac for close 200$ (both) "schiit stack"
Any o2 odac/amp will give you better quality than any sound card

https://mayflowerelectronics.com/arc/ -> dac+amp With microphone in meant for gaming (ps4 compatible) 250$

https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Docking-Headphone-Amplifier-Titanium/dp/B01BBX1NNM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 -> cheap amp and close power as a schiit magni 3

I think the fiio k5 will give you the power that a 6xx need for a cheap price

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

20 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

When you refer "audio interface" you mean sound card? if its so dont buy it, any decent mobo performs same as a sound card, same drawbacks.

If you live in us you can get the most powerful amp and a dac for close 200$ (both) "schiit stack"
Any o2 odac/amp will give you better quality than any sound card

https://mayflowerelectronics.com/arc/ -> dac+amp With microphone in meant for gaming (ps4 compatible) 250$

https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Docking-Headphone-Amplifier-Titanium/dp/B01BBX1NNM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 -> cheap amp+dac and close power as a schiit magni 3

I think the fiio k5 will give you the power that a 6xx need for a cheap price

The k5 is not a dac amp combo it's only an amp. You would need a FiiO portable player to dock with it to act as a dac.

9 hours ago, Peskanova said:

I guess only OP can answer what he means by that, but for the record, I assumed he was talking about something like a Scarlet Solo

solo-3quart-white.jpg