Graphical glitching in multiple games after a new build

Go to solution Solved by ImTerrible,

So after pulling my hair out some more I finally took it in to a Canada computers. They weren't that busy at the time so I was able to stand there with them and show them the issue I was having exactly.

After they reseated the video card, tried another pci slot, tried another video card and tried underclocking my system they were also baffled. They then swapped out the processor and it worked. No idea what exactly is wrong with the processor but the processor seems to be the issue. I'll talk to AMD and see what my options are but that should be it.

Thanks for all the help guys, I wouldn't have been able to find out what the issue was because I lacked the replacement parts. 

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, been watching LTT for a long time and I've built a few PCs in the past. I havent built one for about ten years until a couple months ago when I found a great deal on a mobo and processor, decided I should go ahead and build a new one, its been too long and gaming on a laptop was getting tedious.

TL;DR: I noticed this post got long quick so I'll put a quick TLDR here. Built a new computer and 95% of the games I load up have many little graphical issues (Only in games). Details of my specs and the troubleshooting I've personally done will be listed below

Specs

Processor:                            AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz

CPU Cooler:                         AMD Wraith Max cooler

Thermal Paste:                    Arctic Silver 5

Motherboard:                       Asus Prime X370-Pro ATX

Memory:                              G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16Gb (2x8Gb) DDR4-3000

SSD:                                    ADATA - XPG SX6000 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive(Its my only hard drive at the moment, Im currently waiting on a sale that is coming for 1 TB SSD)

Graphics card:                     EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SSC GAMING

Case:                                   Corsair - Obsidian Series 500D ATX Mid Tower

Power Supply:                     EVGA - 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX

Wi-Fi Adapter:                     Asus - PCE-AC56 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (Running a hard line to my PC isn't feasible where I'm living at the moment)

Fans:                                   Cooler Master - Blade Master 76.8 CFM 120mm (x3)

Monitor:                               Asus - VG245H 24.0" 1920x1080 75Hz

Operating System:              Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Yzp98Y

Gifs

Overwatch Main Menu

https://gyazo.com/645fb6cd4837f2630cb8538ce05d0e7c 

https://gyazo.com/82e10c64d5ba80f9d3364d3e006d151d

BioShock Infinite Main Menu

https://gyazo.com/1af94222de9cb0122d6d31f674f60230

After the game was running for 3 minutes

https://gyazo.com/dc9d77ec47ec35f8efe6d3c5d2f0a016

Troubleshooting

I performed these items but they are not listed in any particular order

1. I switched out the monitor and plugged into a TV I have mounted close by. (No difference)

2. I changed the HDMI cable with another and then switched to a Display port cable. (No difference)

3. Re-seated my GPU (No change)

4. Re-seated my Memory (No change)

5. Flashed the BIOS to the latest version (No change)

6. I tried adjusting all the settings of the monitor to multiple configurations (At this point I was out of ideas and just played with every single setting on and off and whatnot trying to get some change since I'm unfamiliar with these kinds of problems) (No Change)

7. I adjusted every setting I could find in the Nvidia control panel just as I had with step #6 (No change)

8. I adjusted all the settings I could in almost all the games that I played (No change)

9. I brought my card in to a Canada Computers and they put it on a test bench and ran a few benchmarks with no issues

10. I used DDU to wipe out all my graphics drivers and start fresh with a new download (No change) 

11. Did a Memtest and there were 0 errors found 

12. Re-installed Windows and all applicable drivers/games on a new SSD (No change)

-Nvidia drivers up to date

-BIOS up to date

-Windows up to date

-No over-clock on any components except for the factory overclock on the GPU

Im sure theres more that I can't think of at the moment as I've spent countless hours fiddling with it and reading other forum posts.

Description

I will try to give a detailed explanation of the issue I'm having without rambling but in all honesty its hard to describe.

Everytime I boot up any game (I'll list the various games at the end of the post) I'm getting a lot of issues with "Shaking", "flickering" and "Flashing". Most of the time the shaking appears to be on the outisde of the focal point of the game, for instance, if you're familiar with Overwatch the main menu screen will show a character with menu options and a chat text area around the character. The area around the main character is shaking, almost fast enough to be more of a vibration (I know it sounds weird and I'm terrible at articulating what I'm experiencing) Overwatch is one of the few games that are still playable because the glitching is not really interfering much with the actual gameplay (Although it crashes quite often, which I never experienced on my previous computer)

Now the issue is apparent at first boot of the game (Any game) you can see it, but it absolutely gets worse as time goes on, I'd say from boot, within 5 minutes the game gets more and more "Glitchy". The shaking or vibration appearance isnt too much of an issue, just straining on the eyes, but the flashing I see appears a lot and that isn't limited to the background, I don't know how to describe the flashing but it sometimes appears as though its an intended effect, like if you were to show a computer glitching out in a movie, it made me question several times if I was unfamilliar with the game if the developer put that in there for an effect to show things were starting to go wrong (Im sorry for these lousy descriptions).

None of the games I've played feel sluggish, they all run super smooth even on maxed out settings. FPS counter is always stable, always above 60, sometimes more obviously depending on the game. 

I have played these games and have the issue on almost ALL of them

Bioshock Infinite: unplayable after 30-60 seconds of gameplay but issue is there from boot to exit 

Fortnite: Unplayable after 30 seconds to 5 minutes (Flashing and shaking on everything, a few textures fail to load on occasion, characters no longer run but just slide around) 

Overwatch: Playable, shaking is minimal but noticeable, but doesnt seem to affect actual gameplay at all (although it crashes 1 out of 3 games)

Civilization 5: Playable, minimal shaking, noticeable but doesnt impede gameplay

Half Life 2: Unplayable, shaking and flashing and flickering from start, generally getting slightly worse.

Soma: Unplayable, shaking and flashing and flickering from start, generally getting slightly worse.

OSU: No issue, plays fine, no shaking, no flickering

Dungeon Defenders: Unplayable same as Soma

3D Mark - Time Spy: Benchmarks completed fine but was flashing and glitching for a large portion of it

3D Mark - Fire Strike: Benchmarks completed fine but was flashing and glitching for a large portion of it

I really don't know what else to do, I was certain it was the graphics card but having it put on a test bench and tested in front of my eyes and it worked fine, I was totally lost. 

If you made it this far, thank you in advance, I know this was a real essay of a question but I didnt know how to make it any shorter, if I'm missing anything please just ask, I will respond promptly withy any additional info needed, I've never posted before, I'm hoping I got everything I needed to get in there.

The only thing that I could think of that would cause that issue is an incorrect refresh rate setting, this type of glitching especially the one with the Overwatch menu with the text jumping up and down can sometimes be caused by sending an interlaced signal to the monitor instead of a progressive one. Make sure that your monitor settings are at 60Hz (or your monitor's native refresh rate) and that the resolution is correct and that it is not set for an HDTV.

If that doesn't work then it may be a dead graphics card. You can try it in another computer to make sure, or try someone else's card in your machine.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

17 minutes ago, Husky said:

The only thing that I could think of that would cause that issue is an incorrect refresh rate setting, this type of glitching especially the one with the Overwatch menu with the text jumping up and down can sometimes be caused by sending an interlaced signal to the monitor instead of a progressive one. Make sure that your monitor settings are at 60Hz (or your monitor's native refresh rate) and that the resolution is correct and that it is not set for an HDTV.

Thanks for the reply, I have changed the refresh rate multiple times to cover every combination among the games, monitor and control panel settings. It still persisted.

If that doesn't work then it may be a dead graphics card. You can try it in another computer to make sure, or try someone else's card in your machine.

I had the card tested on a test bench at Canada computers, they ran the same 3D mark Fire-Strike with no issues, thats why I doubt that the card is the issue. I wish I knew someone who had a card I could throw in my PC, but I don't.

Thanks for the input anyways though

could be entirely unrelated, but I had similar issues on Stellaris along with some artifacting and the only fix I could find that worked was dropping from 2160p resolution to 1440p, no other games have been affected though, including WoW, Fallout 4 and a few others, maybe worth changing your resolution settings or checking the refresh rates from both your computer and display. Good luck with it

3 minutes ago, Angel102 said:

could be entirely unrelated, but I had similar issues on Stellaris along with some artifacting and the only fix I could find that worked was dropping from 2160p resolution to 1440p, no other games have been affected though, including WoW, Fallout 4 and a few others, maybe worth changing your resolution settings or checking the refresh rates from both your computer and display. Good luck with it

I've tried almost every combination of resoloutions and there was no change. I also tried changing the refresh rates of the game AND the monitor with no luck. Thanks for the help anyways though.

Have you tried and older driver version? Any idea which version they were on at the computer store?

8 hours ago, r34lj4k3 said:

Have you tried and older driver version? Any idea which version they were on at the computer store?

So yes, after running DDU I tried to roll back to an older driver, the list of drivers on the website only went back so far, so I picked a driver at the very bottom of the list which was the oldest driver available and after that didnt help my issue. I then picked another driver midway down the list and repeated the process but there was also no difference. 

As for what version the guys at Canada computers were using, I'm not sure but I assume that it was an up-to date driver.

Thanks for the reply! 

Have you tried other video cards? Apologies if you have, I've been helping with many threads and it's late.

I havent tried another video card because I just dont have access to another. Im thinking it has to be something to do with the rest of the build given that the card itself was tested withy no issues, I just dont know what else it can be. Thanks for the input, I'll take ANY ideas, Im just stuck and it's driving me insane.

On 7/3/2018 at 2:40 PM, ImTerrible said:

I havent tried another video card because I just dont have access to another. Im thinking it has to be something to do with the rest of the build given that the card itself was tested withy no issues, I just dont know what else it can be. Thanks for the input, I'll take ANY ideas, Im just stuck and it's driving me insane.

I think so as well, but this would tell us for sure. You can always grab a bestbuy special and return it.

• 2 weeks later...

So after pulling my hair out some more I finally took it in to a Canada computers. They weren't that busy at the time so I was able to stand there with them and show them the issue I was having exactly.

After they reseated the video card, tried another pci slot, tried another video card and tried underclocking my system they were also baffled. They then swapped out the processor and it worked. No idea what exactly is wrong with the processor but the processor seems to be the issue. I'll talk to AMD and see what my options are but that should be it.

Thanks for all the help guys, I wouldn't have been able to find out what the issue was because I lacked the replacement parts.