AMD A10-5700

I have an AMD A10-5700, why does the CPU Temp register it to have 4 cores, but task manager says it has 2 cores? What's the difference between their definition of a core and why?

Read Spoiler to Cry

Spoiler

Intel i3-530

No GPU ;(

2x2GB RAM at 1600mHz (at least it's red)

5 minutes ago, Flamebug said:

I have an AMD A10-5700, why does the CPE Temp register it to have 4 cores, but task manager says it has 2 cores? What's the difference between there definition of a core and why?

Windows reads it as 2 cores 4 threads for some reason

AMD's chips from that line up have 1 integer unit each but share a floating point unit.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Because it is 2 modules with 4 threads.  If both threads need to use the FPU they will be competing for resources like hyperthreading, as opposed to 2 real cores where they will each have their own resources.  I imagine Windows does this to help better optimize what processes go on what cores/threads

36 minutes ago, Flamebug said:

I have an AMD A10-5700, why does the CPE Temp register it to have 4 cores, but task manager says it has 2 cores? What's the difference between there definition of a core and why?

CPE Temp registers threads as cores, is my guess.

That CPU has 2 physical processors(cores), 4 logical processors(threads).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

it has 4 cores and 2 modules, i'm not sure why people keep counting them as having half the core count...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W