Help with formatting drive

geXa

so in my pc i have a 1tb HDD and a 120gb SSD and my OS is on my HDD and i want to move it to the SSD i have a extra 500gb drive from my old pc that i want to put my stuff onto then when i have windows on the ssd i can move it back, the 500gb drive has windows on it tho. when i plug it in it says i cant format the system partition or something.

does anyone know how i can completly format it so i can put random stuff on it? just so its a storage drive.

thanks in advance

CPU:i7 4770k, Motherboard:ASUS Z79-AR, RAM:8GB HyperX Beast, GPU:EVGA GTX 970 4GB, Case:Corsair 600T, Storage:1TB Seagate Barracuda, 120GB Sandisk SSD, 256GB Sandisk SSD, PSU:Corsair TX650M, Display(s):Asus VE247H, Asus VE247N, Cooling:Corsair H60 with NF-F12, Keyboard:Razer BlackWidow, Mouse:Razer DeathAdder, Sound:Astro A40

You should do it like when you're first installing the windows..when it appears witch drive to install the os, it should appear an option to format, format from there, and you should be ok, if not install linux or run live cd and format from there 

CPU: Amd fx 8120 3.9ghz...Motherboard: Asus m5a97 evo R:2.0...RAM: 8gb 1600 kingston hyperx blu...GPU: XFX R9 280x ...CASE: Nzxt h440...

HDD: Kingston adata ssd 500 gigs, wd blue 500gb...PSU: Corsair gs700...Monitors: Asus vk222h Cooler: Noctua nh-d14...Keyboard:coolermaster masterkeys m...Mouse: logitech g300...Headphones: Logitech g430

move all your data from the HDD and leave only the OS.

then use any clone software to move your OS from your HDD to your SSD