stupid basic question about crystal disk mark

Nogghan

which tests are important to see my SSD and HDDs performance, and how do i configure it to test them properly also is this SSD performance good for 960 evo 250gb i dont know much about storage devices to be honest 

diskmark.png

Generally I like to compare my drives with crystal disk mark.

According to this your drive is a little bit slower than what other users are getting: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/samsung-960-evo-speeds.804011/

If you want better performance out of your drive I would recommend looking into m.2 NVMe drives as they are super fast. Other than spending a lot of money for an expensive drive you can run RAID 0 to spread the performance across two drives and receive near x2 speed. 

Here's a list of steps you can take to improving your SSD speed https://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/storage/12-ssd-tips-to-optimise-your-drive-s-performance-943984/2

Edited by andpeterson
added info

2 minutes ago, andpeterson said:

Generally I like to compare my drives with crystal disk mark.

According to this your drive is a little bit slower than what other users are getting: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/samsung-960-evo-speeds.804011/

If you want better performance out of your drive I would recommend looking into m.2 NVMe drives as they are super fast. Other than spending a lot of money for an expensive drive you can run RAID 0 to spread the performance across two drives and receive near x2 speed. 

that is an NVME M.2 SSD its a 960 EVO from samsung 

Just now, Nogghan said:

that is an NVME M.2 SSD its a 960 EVO from samsung 

Should have figured that out after looking at the speeds XD. I'm not a drive guru myself

@Nogghan

The basic answer to your actual question is: 

The bottom two are more indicative and important for normal client usage, as they indicate worst-case performance at low queue depths. The top two (high queue depth) are indicative of absolute best-case performance with heavy loads, like in a more enterprise environment.

If you want to compare storage media, the most important metrics for responsiveness are random read latencies and random read speeds. Crystal Disk Mark doesn't check access latencies, but the bottom figure is completely random read speeds, so it's the most relevant figure to check if it's the only program you use.

Hard drives struggle to get above 0.5MB/s, regardless of how good they are.

4k is small file read / writes. Sequential is for the large ones. Windows generally does 4k R/W.