Laptop Suggestions

Hey All,

Travelling to Florida for a couple of weeks and kinda fancy the idea of a laptop to take. Would like something with a fair spec that could cope with some light premiere pro and Lightroom (Just to slap stuff together on go) and perhaps some light gaming. Don't need to be too good for games just playable when away as I have my desktop. The budget would be from £1000-£1500 GBP.  I quite like the Dell XPS 15 or 13 as they have a sleek design. I would like it to be inclusive of an I7 if possible.

Many Thanks,

10 minutes ago, Fyfey96 said:

Travelling to Florida for a couple of weeks and kinda fancy the idea of a laptop to take.

You mean take back? It's cheaper to buy them here. You could order one of these https://slickdeals.net/f/11644243-dell-g5-15-gaming-laptop-15-6-fhd-ips-i7-8750h-16gb-ddr4-gtx-1060-6gb-128gb-ssd-1tb-hdd-thunderbolt-3-win10h-900-after-slickdeals-rebate

then have it shipped to your location for pickup. :)

1 minute ago, MaxBunny said:

You mean take back? It's cheaper to buy them here. You could order one of these https://slickdeals.net/f/11644243-dell-g5-15-gaming-laptop-15-6-fhd-ips-i7-8750h-16gb-ddr4-gtx-1060-6gb-128gb-ssd-1tb-hdd-thunderbolt-3-win10h-900-after-slickdeals-rebate

then have it shipped to your location for pickup. :)

I really should have thought of that! haha. That's a good shout. The only issue is if I have any issues that would be covered under warranty...

22 minutes ago, Fyfey96 said:

The only issue is if I have any issues that would be covered under warranty...

Well, you have a couple of weeks to confirm and see if there's an option to buy an international warranty. They are a global company so I'm sure there's something, besides being able to take them to any computer repair shops too. They're pretty good for working out of the box though.

The only thing I forgot to mention was we use NTSC plugging here. You can use one of these https://smile.amazon.com/American-European-Germany-Adapters-Certified/dp/B0058EG0KC/ or another model to get around that without any issues since laptops worth both ways well. (personal experience across multiple devices). :)

Also looking at ASUS ROG Strix laptop but cant decide between an i5 - 7300HQ with a 120Hz Monitor or an i7 6700HQ with a 60Hz Monitor :(

2 hours ago, Fyfey96 said:

ASUS ROG Strix laptop

Avoid this. Mediocre cooling

What's your preferred weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 hours ago, Fyfey96 said:

cant decide between an i5 - 7300HQ with a 120Hz Monitor or an i7 6700HQ with a 60Hz Monitor

As an i5 7300hq owner lemme tell you that you're best off going with 8000 series processors at this point. At worst, an i7 7700k. You'll appreciate it later. :)

8 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Avoid this. Mediocre cooling

What's your preferred weight and battery life?

Im not too fussed about weight to be honest battery life would be the longer the better haha. 

7 hours ago, MaxBunny said:

As an i5 7300hq owner lemme tell you that you're best off going with 8000 series processors at this point. At worst, an i7 7700k. You'll appreciate it later. :)

So far seen this with 8th gen. ASUS Strix GL503GE 15" 120Hz Full HD 6 Core i7 GTX 1050 Ti Gaming Laptop. 

But its a 1050ti and not 1060 like other models I mentioned.  But when it comes to that I havr my desktop with 1080. Do I would maybe benifit from the 6 Core if I will be doing photo edits and video on go... 

1 hour ago, Fyfey96 said:

GL503GE

Please. Avoid this. Subpar cooling

Dell G7 would be a good choice if you need some battery life

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

7 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Please. Avoid this. Subpar cooling

Dell G7 would be a good choice if you need some battery life

Yea i was looking at a G5 cant seem to get the G7 on the UK site.

8 hours ago, Fyfey96 said:

Do I would maybe benifit from the 6 Core if I will be doing photo edits and video on go... 

Yes. And you should try for at least a 1060. 1050 ti is more for budget laptops (like mine) but it's good for what I use it for (1920 * 2 resolution for dota and fortnite).

Also I wouldn't worry too much about bad cooling solutions since you can still undervolt your cpu and gpu. You always have custom options like http://www.digitalstorm.com/gaming-laptops.asp if you're going up to ~$2000 anyway. You just have to decide what exactly you want/need since ideally you don't ever want to use a warrant anyway so you should get the best overall cooling to performance.

Things like a 1050 ti + 120hz monitor are a bad combination unless you exclusively play esports titles with low requirements. But even Overwatch needs a 1060 to push those frames.

4 hours ago, Fyfey96 said:

Yea i was looking at a G5 cant seem to get the G7 on the UK site.

Also good

Desktop specs:

Spoiler