Broken BIOS, Please help!

SubTract

Hi Guys,

I have a feeling I'm going to have to send my motherboard away for repair, but I thought I would ask if anybody has any idea's before I do it. (Fingers crossed something works because I really don't want to wait for my mobo to get fixed)

Specs are in Sig (It is the "Main/Current Rig")

So I changed the boot order in my bios the other day, Saved and exited.... Then nothing no display keyboard and mouse didn't power on, just nothing.

So first I tried re-seating everything hoping it was just having a bad day, but still nothing.

Then I tried clear CMOS, but still nothing. so over the last couple of days I've been testing all my components individually. All my components work fine, Except I'm unsure about the CPU and motherboard since I have nothing else to test these with.

After re-seating everything again... and again... and yet again. I then tried clear CMOS again, This time when I powered on I got the Asrock Splash screen, With the quick key "F2 or Del to enter setup, F11 to choose boot device, F6 quickflash & TAB to switch screens"
I got a little excited at this point, only to be quickly disappointed again, This time I had a splash screen but couldn't do anything, F2, DEL, F11 and F6 all do nothing. TAB gets rid of the splash screen and shows a Copyright thingy and Bios version, but then still nothing works.

Then I reboot thinking maybe its just tripping balls. But then I'm back to square 1 of having no splash screen.
Only catch is now, every time I clear CMOS i get the splash screen again for the first bootup.

Sometimes the keyboard powers on with the Clear CMOS and first boot leaving the BIOS POST Number frozen on **99. If the Keyboard doesn't power on if you unplug it and plug it back in, the Post number switches to **B4 then doesn't do anything else.

**After a quick google search 99 is Super IO, and B4 is USB plug'n'play.

I have tried booting after clear CMOS with no USB devices plugged in as well as no SATA devices. Obviously have to plug a keyboard in once I get to the splash screen to see if anything happens but the same thing occurs with USB or PS/2 keyboards, just without the B4 code on PS/2.

Does anybody have any Ideas?

Cheers,

Jacob.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

wow that sounds bad... one thing you could try it look into the manual of the mobo and see if there is any way to flash a new bios on the chip with not powering on the system. I dont know the board, but maybe it has 2 bioses and you can switch it otherwise i have to say sorry but you might just have to rma the board...

Yeah unfortunately you have to be able to get the F6 key to do something before you can do that. no dual bios either :( oh well. As I thought I'm going to have to send it off.

The Motherboard is 2 years Old and I only got it to replace an ASUS I had before it which did seemingly the same thing, just wouldn't do anything. Fortunately this mobo has a 3 year warranty. Just means I'm going to have to keep using this laptop :-( until I get my mobo back. I can't picture it being particularly quick this time of the year :-(

Soooo not used to slow machines anymore :-(

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4