Bizarre Logitech K220 key glitches

Hi

This isn't a desperate situation but I think it's unusual enough to document, after a quick Google search last night and I couldn't find anything quite similar to what I'm experiencing here either.

So for a few years now I have been using a Logitech K230 / M325 keyboard & mouse paired with their 'Unifying' receiver. They were gloriously cheap and effective for daily browsing & light gaming, I can bash away with them without fear of breaking anything expensive and if I need to do a lot of serious typing for study or business I plugin a lovely old Honeywell for that. Lately, the mouse has been a little off with right & left click not always going off correctly or holding fully while pressed, so I figured I'd might as well go and buy a new combo kit...

So I picked up a Logitech K220 / M150 combo on clearence for $19 (AUD). The first thing I notice is no 'Unifying' branding on the (larger) dongle and the moulding for the new K220 is the same as the older K230 but doesn't have the cut-out for a power switch anymore. It must have also been on the shelf for a while, because the AAA batteries for the keyboard were dead when I put them in. Pulled the old dongle, fitted the new one and off I went, except...

I didn't realize it at first, but there's something seriously wrong with this keyboard. Demonstrating in notepad,

When I hit the 'b' key it actually types 'bu*'. If I hit b repeatedly, it changes case and goes 'bu*BU*bu*BU*bu*BU*' - it also opens the Calculator app each time, as if I'm hitting Func. + F4, which is marked as a Calc key. Hitting Func. + F4 on the older K230 does nothing.

When I hit the 'v' key, it types 'gyv'. If I keep hitting v, it repeats 'gyvgyvgyv' but moves the cursor back to the end of the first three letters and sometimes, if you move it back to the end, adds an '8' and goes to the next line...

When I hit the 'r' key it types 'cn1`r\'.

If I hit the number 6 it types '5z' and puts my PC to sleep! Really "fun" when it goes off for the first time... if I still had the box I'd re-gift it as a gag.

My operating system is Windows 10, I've moved the dongle around to different USB ports (2.0/3), there's no 2.4Ghz devices nearby to interfere and I've only had this keyboard for like 2 days, so nothing rattles when I shake it and it hasn't become like the bin of a bakery yet. I tossed the box and receipt when I got it so it probably isn't going back to the shop now, but it was only $19 so my wallet just has to take the hit. That being said, if anyone knows of a fix or has had this problem and/or has some other trouble shooting tips I'd be happy to see them. Is it some weird driver thing? Is it the water in the toilet spinning backwards down here?

• 1 month later...

Same thing happened to my k220 keyboard. At first thought it was just an OS setting problem. Then I tried in 3 different laptops and figured out that the keyboard it self was the problem. I also tried replacing the battery thinking to boost communication between the keyboard and the dongle. No luck for the fix yet.

• 2 years later...

I have experienced the very same with my Logitech k220 keyboard and m150 mouse. Very weird. Keeps switching between working normally and going crazy.

• 5 months later...

I have the same issue. and it comes and goes. dont know what's wrong

• 2 years later...

I have the same issue with my logitech keyboard and mouse combo. It does exactly the same thing as you mentioned. I couldn't figure out a trouble shoot and very pleased to get it here