Upgrading my laptop ssd

Hey guys, I have what I believe is a dumb question but I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

I have an MSI laptop with a 128 GB SSD that I want to upgrade to a 512 GB one. Thing is the OS is installed in this drive and I want to know if I just have to replace the ssd and the bios will automatically have the windows 10 key for the installation and I just need the ISO (or not even that) or if it is more complicated than that. I have 1TB HDD too.

You should just need to reinstall windows with an W10 iso on the new drive, although I would grab the license just in case.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Both cloning or fresh install are good options, each as ups and downs.

I prefer fresh installs myself, I just like having a clean, minimal system. If you want to manually extract your key, I use an application called R/W Everything.
Any modern PC, Windows 8 or newer, will have your key within the BIOS. You do need to boot via UEFI for it to grab it automatically. If you are running 10 and your PC previously had 7 or 8 on it, then you can just do a fresh install and select "I don't have a key" once you connect to the internet, your hardware will re-activate with your digital license. 

If you want to clone, there are multiple applications for this. Samsung's and Crucial's SSDs come with software usually. Sometimes with cloning you will need to re-size your partitions afterward in order to access the additional space your new SSD is giving you. Not difficult at all. 

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

I personally would recommend clean install. It's good to occasionally clean up Windows a bit, get fresh and update drivers and applications. I have had issues with cloning drives and failing to boot from the new drive or having wrong sized partitions.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2018 at 11:28 PM, Gikero said:

Both cloning or fresh install are good options, each as ups and downs.

I prefer fresh installs myself, I just like having a clean, minimal system. If you want to manually extract your key, I use an application called R/W Everything.
Any modern PC, Windows 8 or newer, will have your key within the BIOS. You do need to boot via UEFI for it to grab it automatically. If you are running 10 and your PC previously had 7 or 8 on it, then you can just do a fresh install and select "I don't have a key" once you connect to the internet, your hardware will re-activate with your digital license. 

If you want to clone, there are multiple applications for this. Samsung's and Crucial's SSDs come with software usually. Sometimes with cloning you will need to re-size your partitions afterward in order to access the additional space your new SSD is giving you. Not difficult at all. 

Alright, I'll definitely go with a clean installation. Thank you so much, your answer was really helpful.