M.2 Upgrade

Go to solution Solved by BarackOBatman,
14 minutes ago, buggzboy said:

Hey Linus, or anybody else worthy. (Bet theres alot)

I have this HP 3510m netbook and its a real pos.  I was watching one of your videos it was about "The Beast" or the m.2 pcie expansion slot thing.  (Yes thing..).  Well this 3510 netbook has solder joints for a second m.2 expansion slot.  I was wondering if it was possible to solder a second m.2 slot on and even if you don't think so what would the slot be called coming from an electronics warehouse.  I don't wanna break this netbook  but im almost willing to do anything to bring it back to life.   what are your peoples thoughts ?  ANYBODY???

I cant seem to find this netbook anywhere on the internet. You said its called "HP 3510m correct?" 

Whats the CPU? if its a celeron, chances are, theres no hope for it gaming wise anyway...

Also, i do not think soldering another m.2 doable unless you hack the bios or something. (this is outside my knowledge tbh)

If you really want to go the soldering route, you need a surface mount (SMD) m.2 connector with a type M-Key. Here are some from TE connectivity. You can search for these part numbers at your favorite "electronics warehouse" Digikey.com is pretty popular. Pay attention to the height specification. You need to get one small enough to fit in your netbook.

http://www.te.com/usa-en/plp/m-2-connectors/Y30no.html?q=&d=125685&type=products&samples=N

I have this HP 3510m netbook and its a real pos.  I was watching one of your videos it was about "The Beast" or the m.2 pcie expansion slot thing.  (Yes thing..).  Well this 3510 netbook has solder joints for a second m.2 expansion slot.  I was wondering if it was possible to solder a second m.2 slot on and even if you don't think so what would the slot be called coming from an electronics warehouse.  I don't wanna break this netbook  but im almost willing to do anything to bring it back to life.   what are your peoples thoughts ?  ANYBODY???

m.2.png

damn i thought i understood that shit

well question changed can you solder an msata port  in place of my earlier question

14 minutes ago, buggzboy said:

I cant seem to find this netbook anywhere on the internet. You said its called "HP 3510m correct?" 

Whats the CPU? if its a celeron, chances are, theres no hope for it gaming wise anyway...

Also, i do not think soldering another m.2 doable unless you hack the bios or something. (this is outside my knowledge tbh)

If you really want to go the soldering route, you need a surface mount (SMD) m.2 connector with a type M-Key. Here are some from TE connectivity. You can search for these part numbers at your favorite "electronics warehouse" Digikey.com is pretty popular. Pay attention to the height specification. You need to get one small enough to fit in your netbook.

http://www.te.com/usa-en/plp/m-2-connectors/Y30no.html?q=&d=125685&type=products&samples=N

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

9 minutes ago, Randomguy1911 said:

this is a Msata port not m.2 

the top one is msata  which does not run over pcieBildergebnis für msata vs m.2

EDIT: i didnt look at the OP's picture... nevermind, yes the laptop wont work with M.2

You must not have seen the LTT video... the new 8th gen EDC Beast DOES use M.2 and PCIe

https://www.banggood.com/M_2-X4-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-With-Power-p-1109912.html?cur_warehouse=CN

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

2 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

looking at the netbook again i see its a hp 3105m.  I bet that makes more sense not finding it.  I see i was really wrong about the m.2 and it being a msata port.  All i know is those two are different ports.  back to more research..

12 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

yeah, i did, but the board probably uses Msata if the unsoldered connector is even unlocked in Bios.

msata and m.2 look similar but there is a size difference. next to the marked spot there is a mini pcie wifi card for size refence. m.2 is smaller than that.

Edit: the notebook model he corrected does not even support m.2.

Mini pcie and Msata are physically compatible, but not electrically.  m.2 is again different from both

1 minute ago, Randomguy1911 said:

yeah, i did, but the board probably uses Msata if the unsoldered connector is even unlocked in Bios.

msata and m.2 look similar but there is a size difference. next to the marked spot there is a mini pcie wifi card for size refence. m.2 is snmaller than that.

i edited my post, yeah you're right.

4 minutes ago, buggzboy said:

looking at the netbook again i see its a hp 3105m.  I bet that makes more sense not finding it.  I see i was really wrong about the m.2 and it being a msata port.  All i know is those two are different ports.  back to more research..

this CPU (AMD E-350) is so underpowered, you really cant do anything gaming wise with the laptop.. regardless of what graphics card you chuck in.

Link to futuremark benchmark

https://www.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu/AMD+E-350/review

Link to Passmark benchmark

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+E-350+APU&id=1777

1 minute ago, BarackOBatman said:

this CPU (AMD E-350) is so underpowered, you really cant do anything gaming wise with the laptop.. regardless of what graphics card you chuck in.

Link to futuremark benchmark

https://www.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu/AMD+E-350/review

Link to Passmark benchmark

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+E-350+APU&id=1777

I did know it was a pretty crappy laptop, just not to that degree.  Lovely..  I'm just trying to work with what i got. and what i got is what was given to me for fixing them. 

Just now, buggzboy said:

I did know it was a pretty crappy laptop, just not to that degree.  Lovely..  I'm just trying to work with what i got. and what i got is what was given to me for fixing them. 

What games would you like to play?

This may have a shot at minecraft... maybe...

probably would legacy and emulated games "OK"

Example: Warhammer: 40,000 Dawn of War, GTA San Andreas OLD COD (before CoD4)

I don't even know what i wanted to do on it.  Minecraft don't work, like at all. Warhammer would have been cool, but no i doubt it.  I run Ubuntu on it to just browse the internet and its still quite slow. Definitely faster than windows.  More or less the thought was for a more Mobile system.  Its all good more than anything i wanna bump up my knowledge.  Hopefully find a computer technician job.  Maybe one where i won't mix up msata and m.2 connectors xD