Computer randomly turns off

imORANGEskittle

Hey,

So I just built a new computer. All works fine. Or so I thought. Once I got over a hiccup when trying to boot for the first time, my computer loads to the desktop fine. I've been doing some gaming, YouTube, university work as you do. 

But every now and then, it's not in a sequence it decides to shut off automatically. And when I go to restart it using the power button on the case like you normally would, nothing happens.

The manual in my motherboard box said to take a screwdriver and sort of hot wire it by touching two metal connectors on the board. Once the PSU is disconnected from power, this sometimes works and it starts up normally again to the desktop. Other times, it just flashes for like a split second when I go to turn it on. And then I have to repeat the 'hot wire' screwdriver step. 

But what's going to cause that? I'm not into overclocking so I haven't made massive changes in the BIOS, in fact I made zero changes.

My system is:

cpu - Ryzen 5 1600X

cooler - CoolerMaster 240 MasterLiquid

mobo - ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING

ram - G-SKILL 2x8 GB RAM

gpu - EVGA GTX 1060 6 GB

hdd - WD Blue 1T

psu - Corsair VS550 (80+ rating)

Baring in mind I used the PSU, GPU and HDD in a previous computer and it all worked fine.

Did you use all the case stand-offs in the right position?

Also check if all the power/ data wires are correctly seated.

To me this issue sounds like a short circuit issue.

Could be many things really. You mentioned the PSU worked in another system, but that doesn't mean it's working as it should, maybe your new system is a little more demanding or finicky. If that isn't it, maybe a loose connection somewhere? Or faulty RAM, maybe RAM/GPU not seated properly. Or temps too high? 

I'd check these things first. It could be faulty motherboard, but hard to know for certain if you don't have a similar system or parts to swap out.

Does you mum know you're here?

1 minute ago, Ansuex said:

Did you use all the case stand-offs in the right position?

Also check if all the power/ data wires are correctly seated.

To me this issue sounds like a short circuit issue.

I believe so, they were pre-installed in the case and matched up perfectly with my motherboard

All the wires are plugged in fully.

I can't work it out

In that case can't you go back to the store you bought it from? I wouldn't bother with troubleshooting yourself in that case.

Just now, VVoltor said:

Could be many things really. You mentioned the PSU worked in another system, but that doesn't mean it's working as it should, maybe your new system is a little more demanding or finicky. If that isn't it, maybe a loose connection somewhere? Or faulty RAM, maybe RAM/GPU not seated properly. Or temps too high? 

I'd check these things first. It could be faulty motherboard, but hard to know for certain if you don't have a similar system or parts to swap out.

I re-seated the RAM before to check for that. Also the GPU is firmly secure.

Heat isn't the problem, my CPU hasn't gone over 50'C yet, the GPU got up 61'C yesterday when testing some gameplay.

I did wonder if I need a PSU with more voltage

Just now, Ansuex said:

In that case can't you go back to the store you bought it from? I wouldn't bother with troubleshooting yourself in that case.

I could do, it was from Amazon UK but I just want to avoid that stress if it's something simple

17 minutes ago, imORANGEskittle said:

I re-seated the RAM before to check for that. Also the GPU is firmly secure.

Heat isn't the problem, my CPU hasn't gone over 50'C yet, the GPU got up 61'C yesterday when testing some gameplay.

I did wonder if I need a PSU with more voltage

You meant wattage and no I don't think it's a problem like that.

I did up your build in pcpartpicker to check that and it's only 334 watts max so that's not it.

Even if you're sure that every cable is connected properly, you should go through and redo every cable making sure each one snaps in all of the way just in case.

I thought I was good on this before but found one that was slightly loose when I finally checked.

Same with with anything really.

I've seen the same with GPUs.

With some motherboard/GPU combos, it takes way more force than you'd think to get it to snap down all of the way and it looks like it is in all of the way when it's not.

Saw that with a z97 pc mate.

2 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

You meant wattage and no I don't think it's a problem like that.

I did up your build in pcpartpicker to check that and it's only 334 watts max so that's not it.

Even if you're sure that every cable is connected properly, you should go through and redo every cable making sure each one snaps in all of the way just in case.

I thought I was good on this before but found one that was slightly loose when I finally checked.

Same with with anything really.

I've seen the same with GPUs.

With some motherboard/GPU combos, it takes way more force than you'd think to get it to snap down all of the way and it looks like it is in all of the way when it's not.

Saw that with a z97 pc mate.

I know this is my second pc build, it's probably all secure already but I will have another look when it decides to shut down. 

I'll post back here if nothing changes :D

Thanks for the input though everyone

1 hour ago, imORANGEskittle said:

I know this is my second pc build, it's probably all secure already but I will have another look when it decides to shut down. 

I'll post back here if nothing changes :D

Thanks for the input though everyone

Also, If you haven't verified yet, you should check to see if there's any available BIOS update for your motherboard.