Graphics card going bad?

Was doing cleaning on my system and was working perfectly fine prior to disconnecting wires and cleaning out any dust and what not. Put everything back in and connected everything back up and now I see this.. Not sure if something is just causing an incorrect connection or if the graphics card is going bad. Any help/input much appreciated thanks!

20180414_202307.jpg

13 minutes ago, iBoosted said:

Was doing cleaning on my system and was working perfectly fine prior to disconnecting wires and cleaning out any dust and what not. Put everything back in and connected everything back up and now I see this.. Not sure if something is just causing an incorrect connection or if the graphics card is going bad. Any help/input much appreciated thanks!

20180414_202307.jpg

Re seat your graphics card.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Being Delirious said:

This ^^^

Also try another cable/connector.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Being Delirious said:

I did it multiple time so not sure if that slot is just fucked up at this point or something that I cant see causing a problem there.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

This ^^^

Also try another cable/connector.

Tried both actually =/

Just now, iBoosted said:

Tried both actually =/

Have you tried a different HDMI or such cable?

The geek himself.

Just now, Being Delirious said:

Have you tried a different HDMI or such cable?

Yep cause my monitor is a bit older and the card in question is a 780ti a bit old i know :P. Tried a new DVI cable as well as a DVI to HDMI cable.

Just now, iBoosted said:

Yep cause my monitor is a bit older and the card in question is a 780ti a bit old i know :P. Tried a new DVI cable as well as a DVI to HDMI cable.

Have you tried a different monitor?

The geek himself.

Try a different monitor, pcie slot, cable, port(On GPU and on Monitor). If its none of those variables it the GPU.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

Have you tried a different monitor?

If I had a extra monitor I would, might try to borrow a friends one if he has an extra one on hand. That was my next option to try after.

Just now, Vandorlot said:

Try a different monitor, pcie slot, cable, port(On GPU and on Monitor). If its none of those variables it the GPU.

Might try going to the next slot on the motherboard and see if it still persists. 

Just now, iBoosted said:

If I had a extra monitor I would, might try to borrow a friends one if he has an extra one on hand. That was my next option to try after.

There are many things that can lead to artifacting unfortunately.

The geek himself.

You can also buy a GPU from maybe a hardware store nearby or a microcenter of something, test it to see if its your current GPU thats the problem and return the new one.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

There are many things that can lead to artifacting unfortunately.

I wasnt sure what it was called. Thanks for actually mentioning that. Just so I know what exactly its called. Figured as much =/. She lasted a long time and was doing good for a long time just sucks graphics cards are a pain in the ass now a days to get one.

1 minute ago, Vandorlot said:

You can also buy a GPU from maybe a hardware store nearby or a microcenter of something, test it to see if its your current GPU thats the problem and return the old one.

Good option to look into thanks sir.

Might also be bad power delivery so try re plugging the wires

My Rig

Peripherals

1 minute ago, iBoosted said:

Good option to look into thanks sir.

At the end I meant to say the new one, not the old one.

My Rig

Peripherals

Just now, Vandorlot said:

At the end I meant to say the new one, not the old one.

Haha I kinda figured :P

Keep you guys posted with some of the other stuff that was posted to try out. Thanks again!

I recently got a half dead GTX 660ti on ebay that I returned, it has a very similar failure mode, it seemed to be memory. Needless to say I got a refund from the purchase. I don't think this can be repaired easily. 

20180317_054913.jpg

Yours faithfully

Yep. The 500 series, 600 series and some other cards will cook their VRM or voltage thingies, or sometimes RAM. Sometimes the solder just goes bad, and can be redone/flowed/applied.

What model card is it?

4 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I recently got a half dead GTX 660ti on ebay that I returned, it has a very similar failure mode, it seemed to be memory. Needless to say I got a refund from the purchase. I don't think this can be repaired easily. 

Spoiler

20180317_054913.jpg

I hope it was not the 660ti I sold! (As it was not returned, it won't be... it was the 570 I fixed... and the 660 was perfect warranty replacement! :D ).

9 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

20180317_054913.jpg

Ooooo I dont wanna hear that o.O lol I would be so pissed if after cleaning the dust out and someone once connecting back on that the VRM some how pops then. If that be the case I ight just have to keep an eye out for a reasonably priced 580 or 1070 ti till 1080 get cheaper or the new graphics cards so we shall see if worse comes to worse.

9 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Yep. The 500 series, 600 series and some other cards will cook their VRM or voltage thingies, or sometimes RAM. Sometimes the solder just goes bad, and can be redone/flowed/applied.

What model card is it?

I hope it was not the 660ti I sold! (As it was not returned, it won't be... it was the 570 I fixed... and the 660 was perfect warranty replacement! :D ).

It was an MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti Power Edition 2 GB, from London UK, I returned it a month ago so probably not. Reflowing usually doesn't fix the card as it's the silicon that's borked not the solder, the solder doesn't melt until 230°C and the card needs to be baked at 120°C for at least 4 hours before reflowing to prevent explosive stream buildup that causes pop corning in BGA clips. 

Yours faithfully

4 hours ago, iBoosted said:

Ooooo I dont wanna hear that o.O lol I would be so pissed if after cleaning the dust out and someone once connecting back on that the VRM some how pops then. If that be the case I ight just have to keep an eye out for a reasonably priced 580 or 1070 ti till 1080 get cheaper or the new graphics cards so we shall see if worse comes to worse.

Afraid so. It's possible I guess that there is dust or something under a chip, maybe give the card an alcohol bath and dry it for a few hours afterwards in a warm dry place (60°C, 30% humidity) 

Yours faithfully

15 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

It was an MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti Power Edition 2 GB, from London UK, I returned it a month ago so probably not. Reflowing usually doesn't fix the card as it's the silicon that's borked not the solder, the solder doesn't melt until 230°C and the card needs to be baked at 120°C for at least 4 hours before reflowing to prevent explosive stream buildup that causes pop corning in BGA clips. 

Wow, only fixed the 500 series... guess it's good I did not try to fix a 600 series (not had one die yet, so phew!).