Problem with pc freezing while gaming

MrTofu

Dear fellow gamers
Im having a huge problem with my desktop pc
My screen goes black, pc is freezing and sound is looped.
It occurs while gaming a fairly demanding games like Witcher 3 or Rise of tomb raider

I have changed my components today.
Previous:
i5 4460 16gb dd3
Now:
i5 8600k 16gb ddr4

Im using gpu from previous build (gtx 970) and there was no problems with playing in those games on old setup.

My psu is seasonic focus gold 650W

Anyone have any idea how to check whats the problem?
Thank you in advance for your answer
Best regards

14 minutes ago, tomoki said:

Have you checked your gpu and cpu usage while gaming? 

I have checked it. Its not even 50% load of both cpu and gpu. I wa trying to turn down graphic settings ingame and it occured again in main menu (load as on idle).

Did you reinstall a clean version of Windows, drivers and everything or did you simply swap out the motherboard, ram, cpu to your new one, plug everything back in and just let it run? 

Sometimes that can cause problems with drivers. 

There's so many possibilities at this point. I don't think it's your PSU. Leave your cpu and gpu at default (no OC) for the time being just to try to isolate any issues. 

1 minute ago, tomoki said:

Did you reinstall a clean version of Windows, drivers and everything or did you simply swap out the motherboard, ram, cpu to your new one, plug everything back in and just let it run? 

Sometimes that can cause problems with drivers. 

There's so many possibilities at this point. I don't think it's your PSU. Leave your cpu and gpu at default (no OC) for the time being just to try to isolate any issues. 

It was a fresh win10 install. Bios for motherboard and drivers for gpu up to date.

About OC I havent even tryied yet.

3 minutes ago, MrTofu said:

It was a fresh win10 install. Bios for motherboard and drivers for gpu up to date.

About OC I havent even tryied yet.

That's good to know. Hmm.. I'm doubting it's a memory problem but cause it's new parts, there's always a possibility. Memory check "Windows Memory Diagnostics" and http://www.memtest.org/ . I don't think anything will come up but maybe worth a shot. 

I'm actually thinking it could be a GPU problem; let's just hope it's not. 

On 14.04.2018 at 12:11 AM, tomoki said:

That's good to know. Hmm.. I'm doubting it's a memory problem but cause it's new parts, there's always a possibility. Memory check "Windows Memory Diagnostics" and http://www.memtest.org/ . I don't think anything will come up but maybe worth a shot. 

I'm actually thinking it could be a GPU problem; let's just hope it's not. 

Memtest86 passed 4 times without errors

I have stress tested GPU with few benchmarks for an hour and nothing crashed

I have underclocked my GPU and the problem is solved but I would want to know what is its cause.

Defective GPU?

PSU too low voltage?

All temps were in normal

2 hours ago, MrTofu said:

Memtest86 passed 4 times without errors

I have stress tested GPU with few benchmarks for an hour and nothing crashed

I have underclocked my GPU and the problem is solved but I would want to know what is its cause.

Defective GPU?

PSU too low voltage?

All temps were in normal

Interesting. I've read on how some people's 970s have been crapping out (not very many people of course) but it was primarily due to heat. I don't think that's your case though if temperatures are normal. 

Okay since you've underclocked it, would you be able to set your clocks back to normal and increase the power limits? It'll definitely add more heat by increasing power limits but you'll get what your card is able to perform at or a little more. I would only do this if you want to retain what you used to game at but if you want longevity of the card, keep it underclocked for stability. I'm not in the position to speak for another's financial situation so it's your call. GPU prices are slowly coming down but it's nowhere near cheap. It's just around MSRP or a little lower. 

If your drivers are fresh, it shouldn't be the problem. It just might be your card slowly dying but what's abnormal about it is that I've had my previous GPU (GTX 660TI PE OC) for around 5 years and I overclocked it from the get-go. I've since swapped it out for another card and it never died or anything. Usually GPUs die to heat and power consumption. 

Maybe also try one more time with a clean install of graphics drivers.