Office/workshop build

Nexmo

My workspace.

This started when me and my fiancee rented our current house, we set up an office with my gaming rig and her editing station, with an extra bedroom, an art room for her, and a reading room, upstairs, we had an extra odd room in the basement. Unlike the rest of the house, it has lenolium flooring and an odd nook on one side with a lower ceiling from the heating duct. 

I decided I wanted a large L desk and a standing height work bench, makin a big U, giving me a nice flow for a work area for computers, guns, models and whatever else(also evening out the rooms since she has the art room)

To start, materials for the room cost around $260

(Lengths of legs and mounting height are a preference. And measurements should be made to accomodate) My desk top sits at 32 3/4 and this is comfortable for most tasks. 

2x 4x8' 3/4" plywood (I used birch, for finish and color

5x 8' 2x4"

2x 60" 3/4" or 1" steel pipe (later cut in half)

8x mounts for the pipe(if rethread the cut end, this can be utilized to level the desk, since the floor in this room was uneven)

1 4x8' pegboard

Misc screws

I mounted 2x4s flat with the tops 32" off the floor along the main walls, cut in 18" pieces and spaced so there would be pass throughs for cables when it was done.  Ending 8 ft from the corner

Cut the plywood as to leave me a larger corner section and about 2'x4' wings on each side. 

Spacing the plywood 1/2 inch away from the wall it sat pretty stable in the corner without much support. Where the plywood was cut I bridged it with more 2x4 for support, (also giving the added height for the cut in half 60" pipe + feet to be level)

After getting things situated I cut in the corner where I would sit, and used a router on the edges. 

For the standing work bench, I started by measuring the available space and building a frame out of 2x4s, when I was done it fit snuggly enough to need to be hammered to move.  Using a level I got it settled where I wanted before screwing it to studs for support, no legs were used. 

I then mounted a 32" tv and put 2x4 spacers to hold out the pegboard that would go up, also giving space for cables to pass behind. 

I cut the plywood top to match the frame but then pulled it out to overhang 2" also for space in the back for wires and a lip on the front. 

I then measured my hole for the pegboard and got that situated where I wanted. The bench is plenty strong enough to hold me( 6'1 200 lbs)  with only 4 screws holding it to the house.  

Added a 12 outlet power strip and tools to the bench, worlds better than going to the garage!

All in all it took me about 10 hours , a few days after work and less than 300$. If you have a space that you've been wondering what to do with, hope this helps spark some ideas. 

Screenshot_20180317-041656.png

Screenshot_20180317-041731.png

20180313_153918.jpg

Screenshot_20180317-041935.png

Screenshot_20180317-042029.png