AMD Eyefinity with Freesync

Go to solution Solved by Extremus,

Good News! I bought this random DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (image attached) and freesync works(I only tried it at 1080p).

51txq70tarL._SL1000_.jpg

I just wanted to have an eyefinity setup with freesync monitors. I already own a freesync monitor (22MP68VQ) and I was planning to get two more of the same. It is a 1080p 75hz freesync IPS monitor and I love it. The GPU I currently have is Sapphire Nitro+ Rx 580 8GB which has 2 HDMI, 1 DVI & 1 DisplayPort. and as far as I know for eyefinity you need to connect at least 1 monitor to DisplayPort but this monitor only has DVI and HDMI inputs and I don't think that DVI supports freesync so my only option is to get a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter for one the three monitors but I wanted to confirm if FreeSync would still work for that monitor and if not will I still have access to the 75hz refresh rate or will it have a 60hz limit.

Just now, Extremus said:

I just wanted to have an eyefinity setup with freesync monitors. I already own a freesync monitor (22MP68VQ) and I was planning to get two more of the same. It is a 1080p 75hz freesync IPS monitor and I love it. The GPU I currently have is Sapphire Nitro+ Rx 580 8GB which has 2 HDMI, 1 DVI & 1 DisplayPort. and as far as I know for eyefinity you need to connect at least 1 monitor to DisplayPort but this monitor only has DVI and HDMI inputs and I don't think that DVI supports freesync so my only option is to get a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter for one the three monitors but I wanted to confirm if FreeSync would still work for that monitor and if not will I still have access to the 75hz refresh rate or would I be limited to 60hz.

Eyefinity is just their term for multi display technology.

You can connect more FreeSync monitors provided they support FreeSync over HDMI (support depends on each individual Monitor). You could buy 2 monitors which support FreeSync over HDMI and then use the 2 other HDMI connections on your RX 580 to power them.

Also, if you're buying more Freesync monitors, I'd look into Freesync 2 instead of the original FreeSync.

FreeSync 2 is FreeSync with HDR support and Wide Color Gamut.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Eyefinity is just their term for multi display technology.

You can connect more FreeSync monitors provided they support FreeSync over HDMI (support depends on each individual Monitor). You could buy 2 monitors which support FreeSync over HDMI and then use the 2 other HDMI connections on your RX 580 to power them.

Also, if you're buying more Freesync monitors, I'd look into Freesync 2 instead of the original FreeSync.

FreeSync 2 is FreeSync with HDR support and Wide Color Gamut.

I am on a budget and I already have a freesync monitor (LG 22MP68VQ) which I love so I will buy the same monitor so FreeSync 2 is out of question. And yes this monitor supports Freesync over hdmi but my question was if I buy a displayport to hdmi adapter for the third monitor will I still be able to utilise freesync and if not will I be able to utilise the 75hz refresh rate or will I be limited to 60hz?

1 minute ago, Extremus said:

I am on a budget and I already have a freesync monitor (LG 22MP68VQ) which I love so I will buy the same monitor so FreeSync 2 is out of question. And yes this monitor supports Freesync over hdmi but my question was if I buy a displayport to hdmi adapter for the third monitor will I still be able to utilise freesync and if not will I be able to utilise the 75hz refresh rate or will I be limited to 60hz?

If the 3rd monitor is also a FreeSync monitor then there should be no problem. Otherwise even if the 3rd monitor isn't FreeSync ready then you should still be able to use FreeSync on your 2 FreeSync 1.0 monitors.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

If the 3rd monitor is also a FreeSync monitor then there should be no problem. Otherwise even if the 3rd monitor isn't FreeSync ready then you should still be able to use FreeSync on your 2 FreeSync 1.0 monitors.

So you mean to say if I connect a monitor which supports freesync over hdmi  to a DisplayPort adapter I will  be able to use freesync on that monitor.

Just now, Extremus said:

So you mean to say if I connect a monitor which supports freesync over hdmi  to a DisplayPort adapter I will  be able to use freesync on that monitor.

I'm confused. You can continue to use your Freesync monitor through the existing Display Port connection and any new Monitors you get you can connect via HDMI.

All your monitors would be connected to your GPU.

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm confused. You can continue to use your Freesync monitor through the existing Display Port connection and any new Monitors you get you can connect via HDMI.

All your monitors would be connected to your GPU.

The monitor I have does not have a DisplayPort input and neither will the monitors that I will buy in the future so I wanted to know if freesync will continue to work or not if i connect it through a DisplayPort to hdmi adapter.

3 minutes ago, Extremus said:

The monitor I have does not have a DisplayPort input and neither will the monitors that I will buy in the future so I wanted to know if freesync will continue to work or not if i connect it through a DisplayPort to hdmi adapter.

It'll work so long as you connect your FreeSync monitors through HDMI and any future non FreeSync monitor through a different connection such as DVI.

Good News! I bought this random DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (image attached) and freesync works(I only tried it at 1080p).

51txq70tarL._SL1000_.jpg