Power Bank question

chronuss

I'm not sure if this is the right forum or place to ask this, but here we go. I recently got the RAVpower 20100mAh power bank "https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0156HCJQO/" to charge my Moto Play Z droid and Nintendo switch. On the product page it states "Fully charge the portable charger in about 4 hours with the Type-C input". Now it doesn't really specify any requirements for the wall charger other than it needs to be usb-c. I bought the RAVPower 24W Dual Type C Travel Adapter 5V 3A Fast Charger  "https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0778JMXWZ/" and I charged the power bank from completely empty to full, but it took around 6-7 hours. The battery bank says on the back "Type-c input: 5V/3A. The only things I could think of that would cause it to charge slower are the wall charger is insufficent in some way or the cable is not so great. The usb-c to usb-c cable it came with looks pretty low quality. I also noticed that one end of the cable makes a small electric crackling noise when its unplugged from my phone or battery bank, but I don't know if that is even a problem or what. Maybe the advertised charge speeds for the battery bank are a bit exaggerated, but I wouldn't think that much? Anyway, does anyone know more about this kind of stuff, or can point me in the right direction to where I could find out? Any help would be appreciated.

It looks like you need to have a QC3.0 charger to recharge it in the advertised 4.5 hours. The RAVPower charger you purchased does not support QC3.0's 3.2-20V/18W output, it can only output 5V/3A.

B019IFIJW8-7.jpg

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

@Homeless Pineapple This is on the amazon page for the battery bank I mentioned. I think you are looking at the picture for a different but similar battery bank.

75ddedf1-0081-4f81-8f40-5bed865765b3._SR970,300_.png

8 minutes ago, chronuss said:

@Homeless Pineapple This is on the amazon page for the battery bank I mentioned. I think you are looking at the picture for a different but similar battery bank.

Seems RAVPower's site mislead me. It would help if they listed products numbers on their site.

According to several reviewers, this power bank will improve its charging speed with Qualcomm 2.0/3.0 chargers via Micro USB. I'm not sure why this isn't clearly stated anywhere.

Input (Micro USB): DC 5V/9V/12V 2A Max
Input (USB Type-C): DC 5V/3A Max

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

@Homeless Pineapple I don't know why it works like this, but the reviews for the battery bank I am talking about and the one that has a Qualcomm port on it are shown together on either of the pages for the battery banks.  Here is the link to the RAVpower webstite listing https://www.ravpower.com/20100mah-portable-charger-iSmart-3.0-Type-C.html   you can go to the amazon page from that page. Even on the ravpower site listing it seems the reviews are listed together also. Maybe it uses amazons system? on the page itself it says nothing about Qualcomm, but it mentions a few times the usb-c charging time in 4 hours.

1 minute ago, chronuss said:

@Homeless Pineapple I don't know why it works like this, but the reviews for the battery bank I am talking about and the one that has a Qualcomm port on it are shown together on either of the pages for the battery banks.  Here is the link to the RAVpower webstite listing https://www.ravpower.com/20100mah-portable-charger-iSmart-3.0-Type-C.html   you can go to the amazon page from that page. Even on the ravpower site listing it seems the reviews are listed together also. Maybe it uses amazons system? on the page itself it says nothing about Qualcomm, but it mentions a few times the usb-c charging time in 4 hours.

I'd say that it's just overexaggerated then, as you initially concluded. I would try charging your power bank with a QC charger to see if it makes a difference, given that many users say that it charges faster with QC via Micro USB.

Desktop

Homelab