New Build Recommendations

Hiitchy

Hi everyone,

I ran into a bit of an issue while trying to make a new build. The issue is that a friend of a friend of mine wanted to build a PC with a $1,000 budget. Now this doesn't mean he wants to spent the full $1,000, he wanted to go as cheap as possible because he's not as tech savvy. My issue here is that I made a build, but I'm looking for advice on how to make changes so that if he's a non gamer it'll be better bang for buck. As far as I've been told, this 'friend' is looking for a PC that can play videos at higher resolutions, and just do web browsing. Can you help me out? P.s. it doesn't have to be Ryzen, they could care less about it CPU wise.

The build is here -> https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/3XXqq4

Thank you!

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

ughhhh a blue case on a red ram. the hell?

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

ughhhh a blue case on a red ram. the hell?

This was thrown together in 3 seconds regardless of color scheme.

I would get a corsiar 88r( cheap microatx) or any other good looking pc cases. Other than that great build!

1 minute ago, Almostbauws said:

I would get a corsiar 88r( cheap microatx) or any other good looking pc cases. 

Blue is good looking, nuff said

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

I would get a corsiar 88r( cheap microatx) or any other good looking pc cases. 

As for the build itself though, do you think I should go Intel or stay with Ryzen? This person doesn't really game so I doubt they'd appreciate the CPU.

1 minute ago, Lappensaurus said:

total cost 666 Dollars, clearly not a good sign

Wanna help change it? Lol

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Blue is good looking, nuff said

Im fan of rgb.

The first thing I would do is get a motherboard that will work out of the box with the Ryzen APUs. Otherwise your friend will need a current-gen Ryzen CPU to flash the BIOS.

I would get a slightly higher end motherboard such as a B450 series board when those launch.

I would also recommend a Corsair CX550M instead of the TXM.

Don't know too much about the case, but I would imagine it's a pretty okay model.

If you won't benefit Ryzen, your friend will do fine with a Pentium and Intel's iGPU.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Hiitchy said:

As for the build itself though, do you think I should go Intel or stay with Ryzen? This person doesn't really game so I doubt they'd appreciate the CPU.

That ryzen is a very good cpu. It has a strong apu, so if they want to do video editing etc they can still do it. Intel toothpaste filled integrated graphics on the other hand...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($72.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($64.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($87.74 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($54.99 @ Memory Express) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.00 @ Mike's Computer Shop) 
Case: Rosewill - FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($54.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $414.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-14 16:02 EST-0500

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The first thing I would do is get a motherboard that will work out of the box with the Ryzen APUs. Otherwise your friend will need a current-gen Ryzen CPU to flash the BIOS.

I would get a slightly higher end motherboard such as a B450 series board when those launch.

I would also recommend a Corsair CX550M instead of the TXM.

Don't know too much about the case, but I would imagine it's a pretty okay model.

If you won't benefit Ryzen, your friend will do fine with a Pentium and Intel's iGPU.

Well the information I was given doesn't sound like this person would benefit from Ryzen. Would I be better off getting a G3258 or G4560 or something of the sort? We're trying to keep this budget friendly while still ticking all the boxes.

That ryzen is a very good cpu. It has a strong apu, so if they want to do video editing etc they can still do it. Intel toothpaste filled integrated graphics on the other hand...

Yeah... Video editing isn't a thing that's going to be happening with this person. More of just watching shows on Netflix and youtube, probably some web browsing, document typing, etc etc. Nothing highly demanding of any CPU I can think of.

good budget machine, as mentioned above, there a few things that might be worth tweaking

Id definitely go for an SSD if you can squeeze it into the budget, at least 250gb

1 minute ago, Hiitchy said:

Well the information I was given doesn't sound like this person would benefit from Ryzen. Would I be better off getting a G3258 or G4560 or something of the sort? We're trying to keep this budget friendly while still ticking all the boxes.

Yeah... Video editing isn't a thing that's going to be happening with this person. More of just watching shows on Netflix and youtube, probably some web browsing, document typing, etc etc. Nothing highly demanding of any CPU I can think of.

You would probably be fine with a G4560. I would recommend that over the G3258 just for the sake of being newer and lasting longer. If you're really worried about longevity, a Core i3 would do the job just as well, if not better.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

*snip*

Will I have to do the bios flash or should that already have been done by now considering how old the H110 chipset is?

1 minute ago, factorialandha said:

good budget machine, as mentioned above, there a few things that might be worth tweaking

Id definitely go for an SSD if you can squeeze it into the budget, at least 250gb

I'd go for an SSD too, I just want to make sure I'm not spending money like crazy on things this person doesn't need or won't appreciate.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

You would probably be fine with a G4560. I would recommend that over the G3258 just for the sake of being newer and lasting longer. If you're really worried about longevity, a Core i3 would do the job just as well, if not better.

Understood. Looks like I'm going to be building off the G4560 then. Thank you for the suggestion.

Fair enough, if you arent fussy about monitor. I have one im going to be getting rid of, if you want to DM me you can take it for the cost of shipping. ill have to grab the make and model when im next at my apartment though. Probably tomorrow.

17 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

Will I have to do the bios flash or should that already have been done by now considering how old the H110 chipset is?yes it is old enough

I'd go for an SSD too, I just want to make sure I'm not spending money like crazy on things this person doesn't need or won't appreciate.

Understood. Looks like I'm going to be building off the G4560 then. Thank you for the suggestion.

Final note: an IPS monitor does not cost much more if you have not gotten it

7 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($72.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($64.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($87.74 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($54.99 @ Memory Express) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.00 @ Mike's Computer Shop) 
Case: Rosewill - FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($54.99 @ Newegg Canada) 

skip the old S/M12s btw, old as dirt and missing protections.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Memory: Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($103.45 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.25 @ shopRBC) 
Case: Rosewill - FBM-X1 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($56.99 @ PC-Canada) 
Total: $427.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-14 23:18 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

5 hours ago, herman mcpootis said:

skip the old S/M12s btw, old as dirt and missing protections.

For a build with just igpu even a Corsair VS/EVGA W1 is ok

13 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

For a build with just igpu even a Corsair VS/EVGA W1 is ok

yeah, but when $2 more gets you a much better PSU there's not much of a reason to pick the S/M12s.

2 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

yeah, but when $2 more gets you a much better PSU there's not much of a reason to pick the S/M12s.

I always pick the cheapest stuff and always forget to check for what is next cheapest and ho much of a price difference there might be. Like I got a RedDragon instead of a MSI Aero.... ;(

38 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I always pick the cheapest stuff and always forget to check for what is next cheapest and ho much of a price difference there might be. Like I got a RedDragon instead of a MSI Aero.... ;(

sell it now and get a gtx 980/ti?

13 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

sell it now and get a gtx 980/ti?

I can totally make my on decisions without anhelp of someone with over 13k post count :P