PC won't POST with bricked GPU

Noyu

Before anything else, YES YES I KNOW IT WAS A STUPID IDEA TO FLASH THE BIOS FOR A 1 MONTH OLD GPU

This is for the Gigabyte RX580 Gaming 8GB

Backstory: I downloaded a BIOS for my card from Techpowerup’s database. I then tweaked the timings, and then flashed it with ATIWinFlash

Result: It bricked my card.

I have the original ROM saved but the problem is,
I CAN’T EVEN POST WITH THE GPU SEATED ON THE PCI-E SLOT

I’ve already done the following steps:

1. Unplug RX580
  2. Boot with iGPU
  3. Set BIOS to use prioritize iGPU over PCI-E
  4. Set iGPU as Enabled
  5. Save BIOS settings and reboot.

Now see, I’m fine up to this point. The next step should be to replug the RX580 and boot with the iGPU so I can flash with ATIFlash

BUT MY STUPID SYSTEM WON’T POST IF IT DETECTS THE RX580 ON THE SLOT. AGGH

Badly…need…help…

P.S.

• there’s a workaround where you can put a pin somewhere to short 2 pins on the PCB. This will allow the system to POST, and will allow you to boot to OS. I haven’t read much into it as my card has a backplate. And in order to remove the backplate, I’ll need to remove the cooler first, which will then void warranty IIRC.
  • The rest of my rig is on my sig.

My last resort is to act dumb and get it replaced from the shop, or RMA from distro.

My current options:

1. TRY MY BEST to get it replaced from the shop, or an RMA from distro.
  2. Remove heatsink AND backplate and try the 1+8 pin workaround
  3. Sell it for 280$ (bought it last December for 300$). I made a test ad to see interest, and I'm surprised how many people (miners smh) are willing to pay 280$ for a bricked GPU. But I guess that's normal considering that the same RX580 now costs 400$
  4. Keep it as a very expensive paperweight ahaha

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

4 minutes ago, Noyu said:

I’ll need to remove the cooler first, which will then void warranty IIRC.

Pretty sure flashing a non-AMD/Gigabyte BIOS to it voids your warranty anyway. Possibly even flashing any BIOS could void your warranty.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Regarding the warranty, I've contacted Gigabyte's support not so long ago and they don't put warranty stickers on their modern cards (I asked about a 980Ti in particular but I'd expect it to be the same on RX 500 series GPUs) so while they don't recommend removing heatsinks, as long as the cooler is mounted back properly for RMA they should honor it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

38 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Pretty sure flashing a non-AMD/Gigabyte BIOS to it voids your warranty anyway. Possibly even flashing any BIOS could void your warranty.

uuh yea I flashed it with also a Gigabyte BIOS. It's actually a BIOS specifically made for my card. It may have been just a bad flash.

But yea I think your 2nd statement still holds true.

34 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Regarding the warranty, I've contacted Gigabyte's support not so long ago and they don't put warranty stickers on their modern cards (I asked about a 980Ti in particular but I'd expect it to be the same on RX 500 series GPUs) so while they don't recommend removing heatsinks, as long as the cooler is mounted back properly for RMA they should honor it.

Oh that's good to know! thanks

at least this'll give me options if I can't get it replaced.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |