Should I upgrade?

kecap

So I got myself this pc build in the early may of last year: 

R5 1600 stock cooler

MSI Gaming Pro mobo

2x4 DDR4-3000mhz RAM from Team (i forgot the complete name)

XFX RX 580 GTS Black Edition

Seasonic M12ii 520w

I'm thinking about getting a atleast 700w PSU or Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200mhz. The reason I thought about getting the PSU upgraded is because overclocking, I can't get a stable clock speed even though it's just a 30 clock boost on my RX 580. Also the CPU I couldn't get pass 3.7Ghz while that's good but I feel like I could get atleast 3.8Ghz, maybe it's got to do with me being too careful on the volts. I'm also not sure if 520w is actually enough for overclocking or not, it's just a random guess from a beginner on overclocking.  About the RAM, I got stutters on a few games and fps lag, I thought by getting a 16gb ram could get me atleast 50+ more fps and less stutter. I will be testing the ram usage later today. 

BUT if these upgrades is not needed, I would like some suggestion on cases with side doors like Carbide 400c preferably under 200USD. If you have suggestion on any else part I should upgrade please let me know and no I don't have a fixed budget probably around 350USD. 

Thanks.

You're using maybe 300W at load.  Getting a 700W PSU is a huge waste of money.  Going from 3000MHz RAM to 3200MHz RAM will maybe give you a 5fps (not 50) bump.

An easy way to see where you'll benefit from an upgrade is to play some games with HWMonitor in the background.  After at least 15 minutes of gameplay, check the results.   If anything was at 100% usage, it's your weak spot.

My guess is that the best upgrade is a second 580 to run in Crossfire.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

5 minutes ago, kecap said:

So I got myself this pc build in the early may of last year: 

R5 1600 stock cooler

MSI Gaming Pro mobo

2x4 DDR4-3000mhz RAM from Team (i forgot the complete name)

XFX RX 580 GTS Black Edition

Seasonic M12ii 520w

I'm thinking about getting a atleast 700w PSU or Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200mhz. The reason I thought about getting the PSU upgraded is because overclocking, I can't get a stable clock speed even though it's just a 30 clock boost on my RX 580. Also the CPU I couldn't get pass 3.7Ghz while that's good but I feel like I could get atleast 3.8Ghz, maybe it's got to do with me being too careful on the volts. I'm also not sure if 520w is actually enough for overclocking or not, it's just a random guess from a beginner on overclocking.  About the RAM, I got stutters on a few games and fps lag, I thought by getting a 16gb ram could get me atleast 50+ more fps and less stutter. I will be testing the ram usage later today. 

BUT if these upgrades is not needed, I would like some suggestion on cases with side doors like Carbide 400c preferably under 200USD. If you have suggestion on any else part I should upgrade please let me know and no I don't have a fixed budget probably around 350USD. 

Thanks.

To be honest, I don't believe that it would be your PSU that would be holding you back. It may simply be silicon lottery. For your CPU, it may also be thermals, in which case I'd recommend getting an aftermarket cooler.

520W is enough to overclock your system and the M12II is a decent unit. Overclock away.

I would grab the additional 8GB though, you can find a use for them if you multitask.

Also a better CPU cooler would allow you to try and go further. Like a Cryorig H7 https://pcpartpicker.com/product/93Crxr/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h7

Or a Macho Rev B https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4TCrxr/thermalright-cpu-cooler-machorevb

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

7 hours ago, Energycore said:

520W is enough to overclock your system and the M12II is a decent unit. Overclock away.

I would grab the additional 8GB though, you can find a use for them if you multitask.

Also a better CPU cooler would allow you to try and go further. Like a Cryorig H7 https://pcpartpicker.com/product/93Crxr/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h7

Or a Macho Rev B https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4TCrxr/thermalright-cpu-cooler-machorevb

How about an entry-mid level AIO Liquid cooler?

7 minutes ago, kecap said:

Don't buy a 120mm AIO because the Macho is actually better in performance and quieter. You could go for a cheap 240mm AIO like this

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/z9Z2FT/cooler-master-masterliquid-240-667-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-mlx-d24m-a20pw-r1

I can't guarantee that particular model's performance as I have not seen it reviewed yet.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

4 hours ago, Energycore said:

Don't buy a 120mm AIO because the Macho is actually better in performance and quieter. You could go for a cheap 240mm AIO like this

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/z9Z2FT/cooler-master-masterliquid-240-667-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-mlx-d24m-a20pw-r1

I can't guarantee that particular model's performance as I have not seen it reviewed yet.

Any other option other than Macho RevB? I have no problem with it but if theres something else I could check that'll be great.

Edit: I found 2 set of used AF120 Dual Pack fan for the price of 1 set, seller said condition is good only dusty. Buy this or just get cheaper local fans?

3 hours ago, kecap said:

Any other option other than Macho RevB? I have no problem with it but if theres something else I could check that'll be great.

Edit: I found 2 set of used AF120 Dual Pack fan for the price of 1 set, seller said condition is good only dusty. Buy this or just get cheaper local fans?

mmmmmmmm, that's a difficult call to make. Fans can be an iffy thing to buy used. I would say it would be better to order a set of SP fans, and I know in some older videos, Linus has recommended going with the SP fans over AF fans because a lot of cases don't have that great airflow. Cheap fans aren't necicerly great options, as they can be loud and not perform as well.
In short, I would proceed with caution if you want to follow through. Before any money is given, verify the fans are functional and that they have not been run for that long. Otherwise, I would try and see about getting a pair of decent fans, like https://pcpartpicker.com/product/shCwrH/corsair-case-fan-co9050014ww wouldn't be bad.

5 hours ago, kecap said:

I wouldn't really go with a 120 AIO, as a lot of air coolers can match it, if not beat it out. I have a personal bias towards the Cryorig H7 for a few reasons: 1) it's a great performer and a strong competitor with the widely known and loved 212 Evo, 2) It's fairly in expensive (just under $30 in the US right now), 3) it looks good, and has a RGB version, though the RGB version comes at a bit of a premium.

When it comes to AIOs, I'd begin looking at 240-280 AIOs, and try to find reviews on them. https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu-cooler/#W=10240,10280&c=33&sort=-rating

1 hour ago, BluJay614 said:

I would say it would be better to order a set of SP fans, and I know in some older videos, Linus has recommended going with the SP fans over AF fans because a lot of cases don't have that great airflow.

This is my case, picture from official page . Is it one of those that doesn't have great airflow? If I bought used 2 set of AF120 (1 on top, 1 behind, 2 front) it should be enough, right?

Also, do you know which is better Cryorig H7 or Macho RevB?

6 minutes ago, kecap said:

This is my case, picture from official page . Is it one of those that doesn't have great airflow? If I bought used 2 set of AF120 (1 on top, 1 behind, 2 front) it should be enough, right?

Also, do you know which is better Cryorig H7 or Macho RevB?

I would go SP120s rather then AF120s due to the  way it looks like that front is designed. From the picture, it looks like they took a piece of steel and put some holes in it. As this would be putting some obstruction there, I would definitely say go with static pressure optimized fans rather then airflow optimized. the rear looks fine for airflow, and typically is. unfortunately, I can't make out how the top looks based off the picture provided, so that's a little iffy. I've never heard of the Macho, but I did notice it was quite a bit more expensive and is also significantly bigger. In this case, that could potentially mean having clearance issues with tall RAM.

14 hours ago, Energycore said:

1 hour ago, BluJay614 said:

I have a personal bias towards the Cryorig H7 for a few reasons: 1) it's a great performer and a strong competitor with the widely known and loved 212 Evo, 2) It's fairly in expensive (just under $30 in the US right now), 3) it looks good, and has a RGB version, though the RGB version comes at a bit of a premium.

Guys, nevermind this, turns out the H7 and Macho is both too big for my case. I guess I'll look for 240mm AIO. 
Thanks for helping me this far.