Buying a second-hand PC checklist?

Hello all,

I'm going to inspect a second-hand PC with the intention of buying.

I will be able to demo it before any such purchase, so I'm curious what particular codes I should look for on the hardware, and what stress tests I can subject it to (I'll elaborate below)?

The PC contains: An Intel i7 5930K CPU, ASUS X99 Deluxe motherboard, Corsair 2 x 8GB 3000MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung 256GB SSD, Corsair HX1000i Platinum PSU, and 2x (crossfire) VEGA 64 GPUs modded with EK FC water cooling system. The CPU is also cooled with via the same water cooling system. (see picture below). The overall price is ~ $1960 USD (so quite good). 

Firstly, I'd like to say I have no experience with water cooling systems, so I'm concerned that it may have at one stage run dry or leaked, how can I test this? 

Secondly, I'm wary of scams and am curious is there any way to physically see specific codes on the hardware (particularly the VEGA 64 GPUs) that are not covered by the water cooling system? Of course, I will also look at the system information via the operating system to evaluate the exact hardware, but am concerned if the current owned has somehow changed this (thus want to see physical codes).

Finally, what stress tests can and should I perform? Is there anything I can run off a USB?

Kind regards,

Ignition.

P.S Please add any other things I should place on my checklist before purchase.

1 minute ago, ignition. said:

Secondly, I'm wary of scams and am curious is there any way to physically see specific codes on the hardware (particularly the VEGA 64 GPUs) that are not covered by the water cooling system? Of course, I will also look at the system information via the operating system to evaluate the exact hardware, but am concerned if the current owned has somehow changed this (thus want to see physical codes).

Run a benchmark

Google what the benchmarks should look like and if they match up voila

(there might be small discrepancies tho.and that's ok)

I would run some game benchmarks if possible(not PlunBat)

And Futuremark

5 minutes ago, ignition. said:

Firstly, I'd like to say I have no experience with water cooling systems, so I'm concerned that it may have at one stage run dry or leaked, how can I test this? 

Take it home and just run it for 24hrs with napkins over evreything

My life

13 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Run a benchmark

Google what the benchmarks should look like and if they match up voila

(there might be small discrepancies tho.and that's ok)

I would run some game benchmarks if possible(not PlunBat)

And Futuremark

Take it home and just run it for 24hrs with napkins over evreything

Apologies, I once prided my computer nous but have been out of the loop for a long time, I fear I'm back to near noob status 9_9.

May you please elaborate on which exact benchmarks I should run, how you do it, and what results I should be looking to get? (any particular youtube videos are fine). 

3 minutes ago, wonderforest said:

That must be the ugliest color i've seen in a loop, VOMIT GREEN

Hahaha yeah the Nvidia green doesn't seem to match the Radeon red. I'd be looking to change the in the future if all works out.

aida64 stress test to see how the temps are doing. If gunk built up in it then the temps would be high.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

OK, so I got the PC.

I ran the benchmark and it performed well (thank you for the advise)

Now I intend to use it for work, gaming, and cryptocurrency mining when I'm not doing either of the first two.

So with that said I'm going to set it up as a duel-boot system with Windows and Ubuntu.

With regards to cryptocurrency I want to be as safe as possible. The HD has been "wiped" (by him), but am curious if I should just buy an entirely new one? Secondly is there anything else I should be cautions about. Is there any other way my security can be compromised?

Thank you,

Ignition.

25 minutes ago, ignition. said:

duel

makes me cringe

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz