display issue

veltoc
Go to solution Solved by Judd,

I believe this is screen tearing. Go in to Nvidia control panel and select VSync and turn it on.

okay so I recently built a new pc, before that I had a laptop with an extra monitor attached via vga, I built my pc and used the extra as the only monitor using a dvi. in the game stick fight I started noticing lines that start at the bottom of the screen and going up. then in many other games like pubg I notices that if I move the camera fast then I kinda see a similar effect, not as noticeable but there and annoying. 

an imgur link to a 4 second video showing it on stick fight: https://imgur.com/a/xXo3L

I believe this is the monitor because when i take screenshots through steam they don't have the issue. what could the issue be? i have some other monitors in the house that i can try. I'm also hoping its that because I already had to return the last card due to it being bad.

my build incase it matters. the monitor is a refurbished dell that we have had for years.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($197.15 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($60.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot - Viper Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB Windforce OC Video Card
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($39.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $556.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-02 15:03 EST-0500

note: I didn't notice this issue when I was using it with my laptop, but I also never played games on that monitor to know. Thanks in advance

oh and I guess what is some good gaming monitors for near or below $100, 20''+ preferred, and idk if there is a way to get 144hz in that range.

Turn on VSYNC in games and see if that solves the problem.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I believe this is screen tearing. Go in to Nvidia control panel and select VSync and turn it on.

3 minutes ago, Judd said:

where is that? my panel is oddly limited in options

wait I found it in 3d settings

Right click anywhere on the desktop and click Nvidia Control Panel

1 minute ago, Judd said:

Right click anywhere on the desktop and click Nvidia Control Panel

no no I was meaning where the setting is, it was in a 3d tab. 

It is your GPU pushing too many frames to the monitor, so the monitor has to show multiple frames at the same time, that is why you see the tearing. Turn on Vsync, that limits the number of the frames that the gpu can render at once, or triple buffering.

Just now, veltoc said:

Oh. Yeah. Its near the bottom in Manage 3d Settings if you haven't figured that out already.

Just now, veltoc said:

where is that? my panel is oddly limited in options

VSYNC can also be an in-game option.

It locks a game's framerate to your monitor's refresh rate or half, quarter, third, etc your of monitor's refresh rate. Tearing occurs when the panel trying to display multiple different images at the same time because of the refresh cycle.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Just now, Unimaginative Name said:

VSYNC can also be an in-game option.

It locks a game's framerate to your monitor's refresh rate or half, quarter, third, etc your of monitor's refresh rate. Tearing occurs when the panel trying to display multiple different images at the same time because of the refresh cycle.

Yes it can be in game but when its enabled in Nvidia Control Panel it applies to every program.

2 minutes ago, veltoc said:

Also, make sure to use the global settings, not program settings where you have to do each program individually.

Just now, veltoc said:

works, thank you guys!

No problem