weird windows 7 behavior. please help.

ok I hope I can explain whatever this is using words only.
I have weird stuttering when I am dragging windows with the mouse.
and I found this thing online called "DPC Latency Checker" its a way for me to see if there is any input lag or input delay in my computer.
so you just put it in the background and go about your regular pc stuff and keep an eye on the "DPC Latency Checker"
and if anything is causing it it will show.
but here is the weird thing.
whenever the DPC Latency Checker is running my PC is smooth as butter.
I mean. no stutter. chrome opens less than a milisecond and opening 50 tabs causes no freeze.
but the moment I turn the DPC Latency Checker off. PC goes back to feeling sluggish and stuttery.
what the hell? can anyone please help. what do you think is causing this behavior.
I dont wanna keep running the DPC LC all day long just to use my pc hh

|| CPU Intel i7 3770K || MOBO ASRock H77M || RAM 8GB 1600mhz || HDD 1TB 7200 Sata II || SSD OCZ Agility 3 120GB || GPU EVGA GTX 670 2GB FTW (boost core 1240mhz) || CPUCooler CM 212 EVO || PSU Seasonic M12II EVO 750W || CASE NZXT Phantom V2 (Pink-lol) || H-Phones Sennheiser HD600 || Gamepad XBox 360 Wireless Controller || Mouse Logitech G102 || K-Board CM Storm Trigger (MX Black) || Monitor Dell P2414H || AV Common Sense ||

It's likely DPC Latency Checker is doing something that keeps the system tick operating at the fastest state. I think it's 1ms. In any case, while it may sound nice having a responsive system, this means the OS is checking what's going on every millisecond. And if nothing is really going on, then this situation is incredibly wasteful.

DPC Latency Checker is really only useful as a diagnostic tool if you suspect there's an issue with latency that affects real-time applications. Anything that needs real-time responses will let the OS know.

if I said that I don't mind the 'wasteful' aspect of it. how do I make the pc run at 1ms all the time?
or is it that horrible to do so and I just need to accept the stuttery feel and deal with it?

|| CPU Intel i7 3770K || MOBO ASRock H77M || RAM 8GB 1600mhz || HDD 1TB 7200 Sata II || SSD OCZ Agility 3 120GB || GPU EVGA GTX 670 2GB FTW (boost core 1240mhz) || CPUCooler CM 212 EVO || PSU Seasonic M12II EVO 750W || CASE NZXT Phantom V2 (Pink-lol) || H-Phones Sennheiser HD600 || Gamepad XBox 360 Wireless Controller || Mouse Logitech G102 || K-Board CM Storm Trigger (MX Black) || Monitor Dell P2414H || AV Common Sense ||

2 minutes ago, LunaticGTX460 said:

if I said that I don't mind the 'wasteful' aspect of it. how do I make the pc run at 1ms all the time?
or is it that horrible to do so and I just need to accept the stuttery feel and deal with it?

Well, you tell me if it's worth the OS pinging the CPU at 1ms when maybe 99% of the time there's nothing to do.

It might be better to dig into other things you can do to address why the application isn't as responsive as you'd like.

Maybe try clean install of Windows with all drivers (starting with Chipset then Management Engine, and the rest then Graphics last. You could also install Windows or Linux to an external drive or USB flash drive and boot from there to test if there is still latency and stuttering. This kind of stuff is very difficult to track down and fix. It could be a driver or an incorrect BIOS setting,or it could just be Windows being funny. Try resetting your BIOS as well.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Well, you tell me if it's worth the OS pinging the CPU at 1ms when maybe 99% of the time there's nothing to do.

It might be better to dig into other things you can do to address why the application isn't as responsive as you'd like.

isn't a usb mouse and keyboard do that anyways? like both my keyboard and mouse use 1000ms polling rate. and adding one more app to that list shouldn't cause any extra load.
is it different from a usb mouse and keyboard pinging? 
if yes. then I will take your word and just tolerate the stutter till I find a different fix for it.

9 hours ago, LunaticGTX460 said:

isn't a usb mouse and keyboard do that anyways? like both my keyboard and mouse use 1000ms polling rate. and adding one more app to that list shouldn't cause any extra load.
is it different from a usb mouse and keyboard pinging? 
if yes. then I will take your word and just tolerate the stutter till I find a different fix for it.

The USB controller is the one doing the polling. It only sends data when the keyboard has actually sent something. Faster polling in this case is better because it's more responsive, but it's not tying up the OS or the CPU.

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed the stutter. there is a thing called 'HPET' in the bios that was turned on.
from what I understand it's a "high precision event timer"
but if you have i5 or i7 or AMD equivalent
or windows 7, 8 or 8.1 
you do not need it. cause they use a more efficient albeit less accurate event timer.
after I turned off HPET the stutter in windows was gone
AND games got a healthy boost of FPS.
so thanks everyone for your help. appreciate it.