Multiple SSID/VLAN for Bandwidth Allocation

RainbowCoffee

So I would like to have multiple SSIDs in my house so that each family member can have access to their own VLAN with a certain amount of bandwidth allocated.

I've thought of two ways that I can achieve this however both methods are very vague and I can't find much information about this on the web so I need help

The two methods are:

Method 1:

Have one central modem plugged into the wall which connects to the internet and then have 4 separate modems plugged into the center modem which will act as the individual and isolated networks for everyone. Each sub-modem will have its bandwidth controlled in the 192.168.1.1 website. 

Method 2:

Buy one advanced modem that has multiple VLANS where the allocated bandwidth of each VLAN can be controlled in the 192.168.1.1 webpage.

I have not been able to find solution for this method even though it seems pretty straightforward.

Good Day,

Both methods will work, but I would go with Method 2 as this will be easier to accomplish.

First off, most consumer grade routers have limited routing support to accomplish true control of VLANs within their stock firmware. If you find a router that works with WRT, then you are good to go. Pretty much the WRT firmware will allow you to separate the LAN into VLANs with multiple SSID's. Currently I have the Linksys 1900ACSv2 running Chaos Calmer. This unit has two physical ethernet connections (essentially 1 WAN, and 4 LAN Ports). The 4 LAN ports act as a switch, but within the Chaos Calmer firmware i am able to create a VLAN for each network port.

My network setup in a pinch:

WRT-1900ACSv2 (Linksys)

-Internet Gateway pulls into the WAN of the LInksys

-Linksys broadcasts a total of 12 Networks (3 for each VLAN; 1 for 5 GHz, 1 for 2.4 GHz, and the last is for a guest network)

-LInksys separates each LAN into a separate VLAN subnet

-Linksys uses a Bandwidth monitor to dynamically control bandwidth restrictions

-Linksys uses an email client to actually push out reports via email of Bandwidth usage down to the internal IP Address

This type of solution also gives you the ability to allow for users on certain VLAN's to access other devices on different VLANs.

NOTE: If you decide to go with WRT, please be sure to read as much as possible before starting. It is possible to brick a router and then it becomes a bigger job then what it really is. Here is a great link to determine hardware for WRT: https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start