How do you ground yourself?

So in a previous post many recommend that i should plug in the psu but not turn it on, and touch the psu when ever i wanted to do something in the pc. First, if i screw in the psu into the case can i just touch the case then? Second, if the metal part of the case is painted(black) does that matter? Third, with the UK socket i have there’s a switch on the socket that i can turn off and on The electricity in that socket,so when i plug in the psu do i turn on the socket but still leave the psu off or so i also leave the socket off?

touch an unpainted part of the case to ground yourself before installing the CPU.  Try not to work on carpet and if you have to, dont do so in your socks.  Static electricity is the concern and it is a relatively minor one.  Be careful placing the CPU and Ram, after that you should be fine.

14 minutes ago, 88pockets said:

touch an unpainted part of the case to ground yourself before installing the CPU.

keep in mind, this only actually works, if the psu is installed and plugged into the wall. otherwise you arent actually properly grounded

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

24 minutes ago, GrandMushroom5 said:

So in a previous post many recommend that i should plug in the psu but not turn it on, and touch the psu when ever i wanted to do something in the pc.

That's what i did when i built my PC (touch the case of the PSU when it's plugged in but turned off), but i screwed it in after i placed my motherboard just so that i can easily maneuver it around the case. (Mobo)

Work on a wooden table and use an anti static mat if you have one

Try not to wear clothes that could create a lot of static electricity while moving around

20 minutes ago, 88pockets said:

Try not to work on carpet and if you have to, dont do so in your socks.

Take @88pockets's advice; walking/shuffling around carpet with socks on creates static electricity.

Good luck with the build!

I normally tocuh the heating element(Radiator) in my room to ground myselve, as its made of metal and has connection to the house(ground) and water:D

place the motherboard on something not static like the cardboard box that the mobo cam in or ruber mats