M.2 Adaptors?

Josiahct

Hi,

I'm looking to get a new SSD and really want to get an M.2 NVME SSD but my motherboard doesn't have an M.2 slot.

I've seen that across the internet using the adapter from the PCIE seems to be fine with no loss of speed but wanted to check with you the LTT crowd before I buy.

One day I'll upgrade the mobo and it'd be nice to not have to buy a new SSD in the future.

Thanks a lot!

Not all motherboards will support booting form a PCIe device. You will want to check with the manufacturer to see if your motherboard can support it. 

Also unless you are doing serious editing or adobe work you will not notice any difference in performance between a SATA and NVME ssd

Edited by COUPER MILLAR
more thoughts

Do you actually need an NVMe drive? There's not that many use cases that actually benefit in real world performance from NVMe over normal SATA SSDs. 

But yeah, PCIe adaptors generally work well with no performance loss. Your board may not be able to boot from it though. That's not a big issue if you already have an SSD though, as NVMe doesn't really boot any faster than SATA SSDs so you can just us the SATA SSD for booting and OS use as it will perform the same for booting and OS use.